*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730788-Living-Simple-in-a-Complex-World
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#730788 added August 6, 2011 at 7:42am
Restrictions: None
Living Simple in a Complex World
Living simple in a Complex World

Well, I have four students in my One Act Play class for next quarter. Last quarter I started with six and quickly dropped to two. Still it was a great experience and both my students, considering where they started, exceeded all my expectations.

I wrote this example play which was at the level of what I expected my average student to come up with. I didn’t want to make it too good and discourage anyone and not so bad it utter destroyed all my credibility. The goal was mediocrity that did not detract from the teaching points. I wanted to show the students the mechanics and components and wrote it in one sitting. Every time I go back and read it I cringe a little and think about doing away with it but decided that providing an example, even if it was a bit lame, served a purpose. I like to see examples and they always were the greatest help to me in understanding text books.

I have this device called a C-Pap that forces air into my nose when I sleep. It is like the mask a pilot wears at high altitudes. Among other issues I have a sleeping disorder and don’t go into deep REM’s because I start snoring and it wakes me up. Reggie White had the same problem and died from it. If it can whack Reggie, I figured I needed to take it seriously. My snoring never bothered Linda who snores even louder than I do, but nothing wakes that girl up. When she nods off she is gone for the night. Anyway I am hard on these masks and they don’t last me very long. I thrash around and they get a lot of abuse…. Nightmares don’t contribute to extending their service life. I don’t know why I have bad dreams. I’m not a bad person and while no saint, my life is not full of incidents I feel particularly guilty about. Still I have bad dreams and wake up often feeling really stressed out…. Until I forget them. Have you ever noticed how quickly you forget a dream?

One of my new students was sold on the course after reading the Introduction to the One Act Play. She sent me three pages of editorial corrections. It took me an hour to fix all the glitches. I was perfuse in my thanks and sent some Gps. It’s not often I get a really useful review and this student certainly has an eye for detail.

I joined the Dyslexia group (DDS) and will be doing some reviews there in the future. My spelling is getting much better since coming to WDC and sometimes I even finish a blog with no typos. Can you imagine that?

Well, Linda left for work and I walked out with her and waved goodbye. She left me with a To-Do list which includes, take garbage to the dump, trim with the push mower, move the wood into the woodshed, cut the grass next to the outdoor wood stove and plant the boxwoods. I still haven’t gotten around to doing that. Our tomato plants have overtaken the flower bed where I parked them when Linda brought home some flats several months ago. The good news is that we have a bounty of ripe red ones. The bad news is that they overwhelmed the flowers. Fortunately the flowers have passed their bloom cycle and will be just fine come next spring.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730788-Living-Simple-in-a-Complex-World