*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731596-chapter-4
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1785502
Paranormal action/adventure romance. Destinies unite the unlikeliest of pairs.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#731596 added August 15, 2011 at 4:36pm
Restrictions: None
chapter 4
Chapter 4


         “Alright, let’s back up to the beginning and go over it again, slowly this time Alexis.”  Jonathon tried to rub away the pain that was starting just above his bushy eyebrows.  He sat with Alexis in the waiting room of the hospital.  He’d tried to persuade her to at least go to the cafeteria where they could get something to drink.  Instead he’d taken a walk by himself and purchased two fountain drinks before returning. 


         They had been over this recent crisis three times already and he still couldn’t make sense of it.  He wasn’t slow, just confused and frustrated by her inability to convey the information in an understandable manner. 


         Things where Alexis was concerned often brought frustration into his normally well ordered life.  Not the least was her lack of interest in him on a personal basis. She was beautiful, from a reputable family, and was loaded.  Everything he was interested in, specifically the loaded part. His plans for life were simple - get rich, marry a gorgeous woman, and enjoy life to the fullest. 


         He’d set his sights on Anna, trying to subtly gain her interest.  She was perfect for his designs.  She was bright, beautiful, and could have been a model if she’d wanted to.  Her concern for the environment and compassion for the poor under-privileged would have played well at the country club scene with the other lawyer’s and doctor’s wives.  Her lack of ambition played nicely into his plans as well.  He could even overlook her religious ideas, feigning interest himself.


         Just his bad luck!  Now Anna was gone and Alexis, although a carbon copy physically was completely the opposite of her in personality.  She had the lion’s share of ambition, very definite ideas on everything - just ask her.  Although she had the same stature, she didn’t carry herself with the grace of a model that Anna had but rather carried herself as an athlete would, with an air of power and strength in her stride. 


         Worse yet, she had this knack of creating havoc wherever she went.  Yes, this beautiful blonde that was rich beyond his wildest dreams would have to be handled carefully, and persuaded ever so gently to his way of thinking.  So gentle in fact that if it even hinted of manipulation, she would instantly be defensive.  Alexis had a tendency to jump to conclusions and be on the defensive so quickly that most of the time, he never understood what he said that she perceived as a threat.  There was always a jump in the conversation that ended with him bewildered.  As he rubbed his eyebrows he cursed at the cruel fate.  Anna was a much easier mark.


         “Let’s start over at the bookstore Alexis.  Did anyone see you hit Mr. McIntyre with the door?”


         “No, I told you that already.  I ran into him and smacked him with the door.  He has a huge knot on his forehead, and he started acting all wigged out just a few minutes later.  I got him some ice, and then”


         “Alexis, please.  Just answer briefly the questions that I ask.  Ok?” 


         She nodded her agreement reluctantly.  “OK!  Did this fellow worker Carmen find anything he left behind?”


         “I , I um, I don’t know, I haven’t heard back from Cari since I brought him to the hospital.  I just told her to put anything she found in my locker.  You don’t think they’ll fire me do you?  What if this guy dies?  I didn’t do anything on purpose.  I just don’t know what to do.”She nervously wrung at the tissues in her hand.  She shook on the inside, causing a nauseous sensation.


         “Alexis, calm down.  Just answer my questions please.  I’ll do everything in my power to”  he could feel the frustration tightening in the back of his neck.  Nothing was ever simple where Alexis was concerned. 


         A thought raced across his mind.  That was it!  He could manage to work this around and maximize the opportunity! He massaged the bridge of his nose where it seemed an ice pick was stabbing. “Let’s just get back to the questions and stop worrying about what ifs, shall we?”


         Lexy wiped her tears and sniffles and nodded in agreement again. 


         “Why don’t you give Carmen a call and see where things stand on that front. Hmm?”


         “Sure”  Lexy fumbled with her phone.  She pulled up her directory to dial Carmen.  She clicked on Cari’s number and pushed enter.  It rang several times.  Lexy nervously paced back and forth in front of Jonathon.  “Come on, pick up Cari.  I know you’re there.”  She waited, redialed then decided to leave a message.  She sent a brief text .  Lexy exhaled a breath that she didn’t realize she’d been holding and walked toward the windows.  As her phone vibrated she quickly answered. ‘WITH A C. CBS.’  (call back soon)  She stood there with her phone waiting for it to vibrate again.  It seemed like an hour, but was only a minute or two at most. Out of the corner of her eye she caught the woman with her sashaying ponytail returning to her desk.  She briefly made eye contact with her and the woman shook her head no. Lexy’s hopeful expression quickly faded back to the worried look she’d had for the past, how long had it been?  She didn’t even know how long she‘d been here.


         Her phone vibrated, Lexy quickly answered “Cari?”


         “Yeah, what’s up with Mr. Gorgeous?”


         “They took him back, haven’t heard anything yet. Did you find anything?” She made her way over to the window, and propped her elbow on the sill.


         “Nothing that I can see.  I’ll check the lost and found before I leave.”


         Lexy sighed into the phone. “Ok, thanks for checking.”


         “Sure,  I need to check out another customer, then I’ll  do it.  It’s been hopping since you left.  It’s like suddenly half the area needs books!  And since you’re not here I’m having to check them all out alone.  By the way you owe me for this big time!”


         “Sorry, I’ll make it up to you I promise!”


         “Call you in a few.”


         “Sure.”


         Lexy stared out the window at the darkening sky.  Clouds were building, churning the blue azure into a murky greenish lake water color.  She cringed, crossing her arms and rubbing her upper arms in a conditioned self-comfort.  The thought to call Gramms came up again.  Turning aside from the window where she could see down the corridor, she punched Gramms number, half expecting there to be no answer again.


         “Barton residence, may I help you?”


         “Oh, James!  Thank You!  Is Gramms available?”


         “For you Miss Alexis, she’s always available.”  The familiar voice soothed her frazzled nerves only slightly.  “It’ll just be a moment.”


         Lexy could hear the clip clop of his irregular gait across the marble foyer into the study where Gramms could often be found reading or studying.  Lately she’d caught the surfing bug and spent a lot of time on the internet.


         ‘It’s your Granddaughter Ms. Lana’ she could hear in the background.


         It was followed by a muffled “Oh this is goin’ to be a goot one, I’ve been troubled all mornin’ over this James.”


         “Yes mum.”


         “Thank you James, that’ll be all for now.” Then in a much clearer voice as Gramms put the receiver to her mouth “Lexy my dear, where are you?”


         “I’m, I’m at the hospital Gramms.  What did you mean this’ll be a good one?”


         “Oh, good gracious, you weren’t suppose to hear that, you’ve got yer father’s good ears.”  She exhaled a gentle sigh and mumbled a quick thought under her breath “Now why pray tell are at the hospital Love?”


         “Oh Gramms it’s just awful.  I hit this guy and gave him a concussion, and he got all puffed up, and I don’t know how it happened.  I don’t want to go to jail again Gramms.  It was an accident,  I don’t know what to do.”


         “Of course it was an accident.  I don’t know  what’s wrong with him, but you did the right thing by taking him to the hospital.  Did someone contact his family?”


         “No, not yet.  That’s complicated too.  I think he’s from England or Scotland.  He sounds like those men at the Inn we stayed at in Inverness.  I have his cell phone with me, do you think I should call someone even though I ‘m not sure what’s wrong?”


         “Of course you should Lexy.  I'd want to now you were safe.  His family will need to know.”  There was silence for a long pause.


                "Gramms?"


                "I was just thinking sweetie.  Do you know what this lad's name is?"


                  "It's Kyle.  Kyle McIntyre."


                  Lexy heard a crash and the phone went dead. 








Ellie Mack
© Copyright 2011 Ellie Mack (UN: ellie_mack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ellie Mack has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731596-chapter-4