*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731877-Some-Thoughts-on-Borders
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#731877 added August 18, 2011 at 12:18pm
Restrictions: None
Some Thoughts on Borders
I love books. As a young girl in the 1970's, I loved going to the city library. They had a wonderful selection of books from dinosaurs to the Hardy Boys. In the 1980's as a teenager and young adult, I grew to love spending time in a bookstore. There's nothing like the feel and scent of a new book. So it's with a heavy heart I say goodbye to Borders.

Borders was the #3 bookseller for books in the US, but it was losing money long before it declared bankruptcy. In my opinion, Borders failed because it didn't keep up with the times. While I think publishing models are currently in flux (with ebook and self-publishing taking off as viable publishing options) clinging to a traditional publishing model now will make it hard for authors and those houses to survive. You've got to change with the times.

In the 1990's bookstores consolidated and added "ambience" to their appeal. They offered DVDs, CDs and in house coffee shops along with a spot to plug in your laptop.

In the 2000's, technology took off. Amazon became a successful online retailer by offering a wide variety of products. With the introduction of Amazon's Kindle, ebook readers made ebooks fun to read.

Borders didn't jump on the ebook bandwagon soon enough. According to stats, print sales are dropping and ebook sales continually show high returns; the most popular genres being romance and mainstream.

What I'll miss is the ambience of hanging out with my friends and I'll miss the scent of new books.

What will you miss about Borders?

© Copyright 2011 StephBee - GOT Survivor (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - GOT Survivor has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731877-Some-Thoughts-on-Borders