*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732668-YouTube-Comments
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#732668 added August 28, 2011 at 5:16pm
Restrictions: None
YouTube Comments
  It doesn't matter what type of music video I pull up, the comments under it tend to be obscene and angry. If you hate opera, why are you viewing opera videos. If you hate John Wayne, why are you looking at clips from his movies? And why waste your time arguing with people you don't know and will never meet over trivial stuff?

    So much anger! Are these people using YouTube just to release frustrations? Are they turning to things they don't like, just so they can complain about something? And if you don't like a comment about some video you don't like anyway, why blow a gasket over it? Rechannel that energy and intensity into something that matters!

    I look at comments, when I'm brave, because I sometimes gain a little insight into the making of the video, the writing of the song, or something about the performer. But experience has taught me not to read too many, because inevitably someone takes offense at something, or thinks his performer does a superior job, and that requires a lot of swearing, threatening, and general insulting.

      The repetiveness of the words is alarming. Is this indicative of the dumbing down of the population? Our language is so rich with vocabulary, yet the same profane and vulgar words are used over and over to describe opera, religious music, "oldies", rock, country, humor, and just about everything. These comment-makers are limited in their word choices, but the anger is consistent. Disagree, fine, but do so a little less on the attack side. Let's agree to disagree without getting viscious. And do yuor English teachers a kindness: use some of those vocabulary words you memorized instead of your "shock" words. They make you sound stupid, not cool.

© Copyright 2011 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732668-YouTube-Comments