*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733718-Quality-Time-Together
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#733718 added September 10, 2011 at 6:58am
Restrictions: None
Quality Time Together
Quality Time Together

For the past couple of days Linda and I have been on the road enjoying ourselves and taking it easy.

On Monday was Labor Day and we went shopping to give Linda a chance to decompress. On Tuesday I worked on the Studebaker. I discovered that the gage fixture I had constructed was too heavy. The sheet metal I used was too thick and by the time I finished with the BONDO it weighted close to five lbs. So I decided to use it as a mold for a fiberglass one. To do this I smeared it with grease, cut out patterns of the parts, cut out fiberglass cloth, mixed the resin and applied the first layer. In the process I didn’t add enough hardener and it was a cool night and the initial application did not harden like I hoped. So I painted on pure catalyst to the soft parts and put it out in the sun. This worked and I then added a second coat. After taking it off the mold I had a part that was much lighter and better suited to the job. Now I need to sand it smooth and cut out the gage holes and fit it to the dash. Then comes the fun part of hooking up the gages.

Before I could finish however it was time to go to the Town Hall and do the voting on a referendum that would give the School Board more latitude on how it spends our tax dollars. The community was fairly evenly split on that one. Then on Wednesday morning we dropped the dogs off at the kennel and set forth on our adventure.

As we drove north Linda told me about a place called “Garmish” where there was supposed to be a great place to eat outside the town of Cable. We arrived late in the afternoon and discovered that they had rooms and decided to spend the night. We had a lovely room overlooking lake Namekagon. It worked out great and we had a wonderful evening. The next morning we set off for Bayfield where we had reservations at the Rittenhouse. We arrived at 10 AM just in time to catch the cruise boat for a tour of the Apostle Islands… There are actually 22 Islands and at last count 12 Apostles and nobody knows for sure how they came up with "Apostles." I didn’t have trouble with the name, however Linda contended that the early fur traders/missionaries/settlers certainy knew how to count and this was a "Stupid Mistake." Then to discover that there wasn't even someone to pin it on made matters even worse. *Bigsmile*

After the cruise we walked all over, bought T-Shirts and finally got checked into our Bed and Breakfast. That night we spent a half hour trying to figure out how to get the shower to work. There is usually a pull knob or a turn switch to activate after you turn on the knobs... but there was no such device. Finally we discovered that the lip to the nozzle, where the bath water came out, performed this function and at last got the shower head to working. Other than that the room was lovely and the mansion was nothing short of awesome.

In the morning we had breakfast and decided to go and see the Eagles. We arrived this evening and checked into a nice motel that finally had internet access. Tomorrow we go to the Eagle Center in Wabasha Minnesota where they have some live bald eagles that are part of the demonstration. I’ll let you know how that goes later on. Anyway, we're having fun and I wish you were here.to enjoy the beautiul scenery and weather.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733718-Quality-Time-Together