*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734470-The-Good-Shepard
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#734470 added September 20, 2011 at 1:46am
Restrictions: None
The Good Shepard
The Good Shepard

This blog is a "... lamp onto my feet." It is a reminder that everybody is not the same and like a shepard I need to be ready to leave the flock and attend a lost sheep. In my professional life I was employed in a vocation where I was almost continuously over committed and under resourced. This is to say that what was expected of me went far beyond what I was budgeted in people equipment and money.

In order to survive in this environment I developed a management philosophy that I sometimes refer to (under my breath) as “How bad can I let bad get…” (before they fire me) Now this is an absolutely horrible management philosophy, however, nobody wants to get fired and so I found myself continuously putting the grease to the squeaks that could lead to an organizational meltdown. I not only survived but was promoted to my level of competency and some might say beyond… But none can dispute that when the smoke cleared some weaker souls were no longer beside me in the ring. It was only when I digressed from this time tested formula and decided to stand on principle that I was brushed aside and put to pasture.

Now I share this with you not out of any great sense of pride but to explain to my “Army of Readers” how the “How Bad is Bad” philosophy works. Just as many are appalled by my management philosophy there are those who will deem me aloof and snobbish for even discussing this next politically sensitive issue. What it comes down to is that I see fundamentally two kinds of writers here at writing.com. Those who are primarily interested in becoming better writers and those who are looking for a social or emotional connection… By social connection I mean folks who might be under skilled but who still share a love for writing and are looking for like minded people. .. Who feel a compelling need to abide with intelligent spirits… who might otherwise be absent from their lives.

For many inclined to the social side of membership the skill ,talent and educational index is not as high as what I see in some serious writers, and as I became more “socialized” I began approaching interactions with these two types differently. What I am trying to say is that once I make a distinction, I apply a different standard of support and encouragement. What I often see in the writing of many who have had little opportunity in life, are glaring deficiencies in their writing skills and I often find their experiences poignant and gut wrenching. Most members of writing.com have education, skill and talent or they would not gravitate to this site, however there is no denying the presence of those who can barely punch a key board and yet find our group a haven in a sea of chaos and turmoil. These members are more numerous than one might suspect and you have only to go to the port of someone who speaks and writes on the border line of incoherency to identify who they are. Should you encounter someone who qualifies, I recommend you read their port from start to finish to get an appreciation for how truly blessed you are and how generous your creator has been in giving you the gifts and education you enjoy. I guarantee it will be a humbling experience and lead to a greater sense of humility.

How does the saying go…..? “I despaired that I had no shoes until I saw somebody who had no feet.“ What this means, and this is the lamp onto my feet part....a realization that I have come to slowly around here, is that when I do a critique or have a class standard... that I need to know individually who I 'm dealing with. One size doesn't fit all. If the person is a strong and experienced writer I don't have to worry quite so much in administering a little tough love. On the other hand if they are up to it in alligators and and struggling to just stay afloat, I have to use a different standard or take another approach. My goal in life has shifted from survival to trying to bring out the best in those around me and I no longer have to worry about serving just the squeaky wheels. Amen.


© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734470-The-Good-Shepard