*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734937-Illegals
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#734937 added September 25, 2011 at 2:45pm
Restrictions: None
Illegals
Illegal’s

Grandchildren are destructive to your self image. They tend to say what’s on their mind and have absolutely no sense of political correctness.

One morning when we were visiting my in-laws in Georgia. My daughter was there with her younger son. It was at the breakfast table and I’m not a morning person. You would have seen me in a characteristic stupor like state. In the distance there were conversations taking place. Suddenly I was jerked from my reveries.

“What’s the matter Ben?” my daughter asked her son.

“HIM! He’s what’s the matter,” said the precocious young man pointing accusingly in my direction.

I looked up startled by the sudden assault….

“And what has Grandpa done to upset you?”

“He isn’t listening to a word I’m saying. “

Now this was a good lesson for the boy… Those in charge are seldom good listeners…not that I’m in charge of anything. But I am old and that guarantees me a seat.

Anyway there is an analogy here that shows that leaders are seldom on the same wave length as followers. This was evident in the debates several nights ago and I was amazed as always that many of the participants were so ill prepared. Here I teach a semester course on Drama for GPs when I could be making OBAMA dollars teaching debaters how to keep from looking like a bunch of dumb bunnies.

Now I am not trying to demonstrate a superior air, and no doubt if I had been in their shoes my performance would have been equally uninspiring but for crying in the beer… There are some questions that are not that hard to anticipate and I know for certain that these questions are posted before the debate, so why in the heck do some candidates have so much difficulty? The answer is because they don’t rehearse. They don’t have a mock debate with their staffs and do a little role playing to get the feel of how to juke with the punches and counter jab to good effect.

Before going further let me say that the way future presidents are selected has become more like a beauty contest than a serious attempt to find the best candidate. What a debate shows is not who is best qualified, or who has the best experience and track record but rather who has the glibbest tongue. In my view glibness is not a trait that is particularly important in a President. It really bit us in the last election. However, this is the way the selection process works in a Democracy, driven by the engine of Capitalism. Talk about mixing nitric acid and glycerin.

The Greeks, who invented Democracy had little good to say about it other than it was ten times better than the second runner up. The same can be said for Capitalism. Anybody that thinks this economic model has a heart, is living in a dream world however, like its counterpart, it beats the heck out of Marxist thinking or a pinhead Tyrant.

So if this is the way it is going to be then why are the debaters not better prepared? Let me explain further… In any debate there is what I would call a scientific argument and a human argument. If a candidate is getting bested in the science of the issue they need to shift to the spirit.

For example, One of the candidates was criticized because his State was “Incentivizing” illegal immigration by offering to pay tuition to the children of illegal’s. That this was an encouragement for them to enter the country illegally. Now this was what one might expect from a quibbler. First of all the candidate was a governor and the hand-out was passed by a state legislature, second it was a bunch of bull and finally it was motivated by a sense of doing the right thing and making the most out of a bad situation.

Anybody that thinks that illegal’s are incentivised to enter this country by the advantages provided by educational or healthcare benefits is playing too much bridge out on the yacht. Illegal’s are drawn to this country because, as bad as life is when they get here, it is ten times better than the crappy existence they are fleeing in Central and South America. These are people on the lowest rung of Maslow’s scale and are motivated by putting food on the table, finding a lousy job, and avoiding an even more dismal future. How many of the children from these families do you suppose will qualify for admission to the University of Texas? Legally or Illegally these immigrants are going to find a way in here and educational or health benefits have nothing to do with it. Duh!

The Problem has two dimensions. Keeping the illegal’s from entering and dealing with them once they get here. Unless you’re Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin, these are two entirely different issues.

As much as I hate fences and believe deep down that they simply don’t work, the only way to stop the onslaught seems to be with a barrier. The fundamental reason I believe this is not because these immigrants are bad people, because they are a burden on our health care or educational systems, because they take away jobs or because many are criminals involved in the illicit drug trade.

The gut reason is because the balance of power hangs precariously in this country. The Socialists favor big government and to maintain political power need the broadest base possible. To build this base they want to increase the numbers of disenfranchised and to do this they have created a never ending stream of social programs that addict voters to welfare, food stamps, and unending unemployment benefits. They have steadfastly resisted any immigration policy to staunch the influx they believe will swell their ranks. Their belief is that those addicted to handouts will vote Democrat.

If a citizen of this county complains that an illegal is taking their job then shame on them. The jobs the migrants do are jobs nobody else wants. They are crap jobs and a growing number of long term “Citizens” disdain to even consider taking them. These include both the lawless and and the historic long term users that chronically strain our social welfare system. Some are mentally, physically or emotionally impaired, but more and more are those with average intelligence, becoming by choice, a lifetime, multi-generational drag on society . The safety net is not something they fall into but one that they choose to wear. If they had applied themselves in school and had the ambition to find a job, they would not feel challenged by the illegal’s who are as much of a threat to them as a one legged midget in a butt kicking contest.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734937-Illegals