*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/735078-Rustling-and-Other-Froms-of-Thievery
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#735078 added September 27, 2011 at 9:31am
Restrictions: None
Rustling and Other Froms of Thievery
Rustling and other forms of Thievery

The jails in Wisconsin are full of criminals just like in all the rest of the states. Many just don’t get it…. Break the law and you go to jail and even some of these “White Collar” prisons are not places someone would like to get locked up in. What is scary is that if the Liberals have their way the ranks of the incarcerated will swell to include those who don’t share their views. Already we hear cases of homeowners being prosecuted because they shot trespassers breaking and entering. Every year there are half a dozen stories of how a home owner lost everything trying to protect their personal property and of law enforcement refusing to act for fear of retaliation by the ACLU. I suppose that what we hear on the news are only the spectacular horror stories of our justice system skidding out of control and no doubt there needs to be some protection against some crazy homeowner blasting away at everyone who drives by… but the impression is locally that law abiding citizens are being victimized and prosecuted rather than the criminals who perpetrate the crimes..

There have been a rash of break-ins… particularly of seasonal homes here in Wisconsin. At first the migrants get blamed but when the actual wrong-doers got caught they are usually the home grown variety. There has also been talk about rustling going on…. Of angus cattle being stolen and butchered. Yesterday in the paper was a story of Hog rustling in Iowa and two hundred fifty head disappearing overnight from some farmer’s shed. I was glad to see at the end of the article a local farmer commenting that stealing that many hogs requires a degree of sophistication that is well beyond your typical thief and a pickup truck. Anyway the Mexicans get blamed for a lot to begin with before it turns out the real culprits live a wee bit closer to home.

However, from what I see on the news and hear from those who comment on my blog… It really depends on where you live. What goes on around here isn’t the same as what is happening down on the border. We have a drug problem in the state but nothing like the trafficking down in New Mexico and Texas. Bad people are walking around with AK 47’s and Border Agents are getting shot. The gang violence down there has not yet expressed itself in the seasonal migrant workers who perform jobs nobody else is willing to do up here.

Today when we returned from shopping in Stevens Point my wife was giving me instructions of what to carry in an where to put it. Finally all that was left was a big bag of cat grain I was lugging and some small plastic bags she was holding. “Look behind you,” she called out, “at all the dark clouds.” I tuned and she chided, not over there… over there to the West.” I tuned to the West and looked. At the same instant she complained, “When are you going to quit looking aimlessly around and open the door…? Can’t you see I have my arms full?”

That woman can definitely keep somebody off balance.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/735078-Rustling-and-Other-Froms-of-Thievery