*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/735161
Rated: E · Book · Community · #1800942
New Horizons Journal-
#735161 added September 28, 2011 at 1:23pm
Restrictions: None
9.28.11 Romans 12 Blessings and Tribulations
Romans 12:9-14

9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;

12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not
.

These verses cover a lot of ground but I want to focus on the  brotherly love and tribulation aspects of these verses.

Verse 9 says we are to hate evil and to cleave to things that are good. It does not say that we are to hate evil people and cleave to only good people. This is an important point because the next verse says that we are treat people kindly, with brotherly love. It does not say, treat only good people kindly. Rather, we are to treat even our enemies kindly, as indicated in verse 14.  Also, the word "preferring" means "leading" in the Greek text. We are to lead one another, not by force, but by example, the example of an honorable existence. This is emphasized in verse 14 when it says that we are to bless the people who persecute you. Again it says, "Bless, and curse not." So, we are to hate the evil but love the person.

Verse 12 says to be "patient in tribulation". These three words say a lot. It says that Christians undergo tribulation in the world, and it is not always a result of sin. In fact, Christians suffer for Christ's sake. Thus, they are to "Rejoice in hope;" for suffering is an honor when you suffer for your Christian profession. "Continuing instant in prayer" provides the Christian the strength and peace to endure the tribulations. As does, maintaining a Christian lifestyle as indicated in verse 13.  Overcoming  the tribulation and suffering can only come when you bless them which persecute you. Having a bitter heart only makes the suffering worse.

It might be hard to bless those that are persecuting you but if you pray to God to help you with your feelings toward those people, you will find that it will become easier and easier. It might also help to remember that when Jesus was being tortured on the cross, He prayed for the people saying, "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."





Itchy Water signature

Personal Rising Star Image











© Copyright 2011 Itchy Water~fictionandverse (UN: deannarich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Itchy Water~fictionandverse has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/735161