*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737289-Day-14-Divinity
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1810186
For she who forgets must now remember her tale...
#737289 added October 18, 2011 at 4:47pm
Restrictions: None
Day 14: Divinity
WORD COUNT: 822

"What on Earth are you doing here? And who are all of these people?"

Her apartment was full to the brim with people. And food. And decorations. "Are those...football teams? Hermes? Hermes!"

Hermes pushed his way through the throng of men and women that seemed to have crowded--impossibly so, actually--the living room of her apartment. He was wearing a jersey and had a hat on his head that looked strangely like it was meant for drinking beer. And a handful of Cheetos in both hands. "Oh, heya Eve! Everyone, this is Eve! Say hi to everyone, Eve!"

"Um...hello?" Lyn waved, but it was weak, indecisive. "Hermes, is everyone here a god?"

"No! No, no, no! Not everyone." Hermes laughed. Lyn exhaled in relief, not realizing that she'd been holding her breath. It was one thing to have a god in your life, one who'd given you a few days to get used to his presence by pretty much staying out of your way, but an entire household full of immortal creatures who fed on your faith...that was a little much. "Cu here is a folk legend."

Lyn blinked, and then decided to blink again for good measure. "Wh-what?"

"Cu! Hey, Cu! Come meet Eve!" From the other side of the room, a man stood and edged his way through the crowd over to where Lyn and Hermes were standing. He was huge, but not in a way that screamed 'STEROIDS WERE HERE', and definitely ginger. He wore his hair in several small braids, though most of it was left free to tumble down about his shoulders. And he was wearing an Oakland Raiders jersey. "Cuchulain, meet Eve. She's my friend. Eve, love, meet Cuchulain, the hero of..."

"Ulster," Lyn finished. "Hermes...is everyone except Cuchulain here a god?"

"Yeah! Want to meet them all? I'm having a Super Bowl party! Did you know that your house is a veritable belief mine? There's enough belief for all of us to stay here the entire night!" Hermes waved excitedly, bringing Lyn over to the crowd of gods and goddesses. Half of them were wearing the same jersey as Hermes, and the other half were wearing a purple jersey. Only Cu was wearing something different. The table was covered in hot wings, chips and dip, and a huge sandwich platter; refreshments were, apparently, in a cooler by the fridge.

Yup, this was a Super Bowl party all right. "I hate football," Lyn muttered.

"Oh? Really? We love football! So much faith, so much belief, and since a football team can't absorb the belief, it all ends up wafting about the universe. It's a veritable buffet for our kind. The Super Bowl is pretty big. Only the World Cup is bigger, since football--soccer football, not American football--is worldwide. Plus, it's really fun!"

Lyn sighed. Gods. How had she managed to become plagued by them? She was far too accepting of this situation. How many people could sit in a room full of gods, of immortal beings of substantial power within their own realm, and just go with it? It helped that she'd always believed in them, ever since she was a kid. They'd been her imaginary friends, her only friends for most of her life. And now they were all here. How could she not accept them, when they'd been so much to her and done so much for her, even if they didn't know it?

"Of course, love. Introduce me to everyone."

"Ok, great! Thor, Loki, come meet Eve!" Lyn took one look at the two entities coming over to meet her and burst out laughing.

"Hermes, hon, are Thor and Loki Minnesota Vikings fans?"

Hermes nodded. "Of course. How else? Personally, I think Loki had something to do with them getting into the Super Bowl at all. They didn't start off the season very well. We're not supposed to get involved, but I think he did."

Lyn was still laughing, but now she'd turned her attention to what Hermes was wearing. "And the Tennessee Titans? I know they suck!"

"What are you saying?" Hermes' face was entirely too innocent, which betrayed him completely. "Ok, Ok, Loki and I both got involved. Cu's mad because the Raiders were kinda slated to be in the game, but...then Loki and I got involved. And he's the only one. The English deities are rooting for the Titans because the Vikings raided England, and the German deities are rooting for the Vikings since they have similar histories. This was the only way to get everyone to come! And once I discovered about your apartment, I knew we had to get together...and we never get together."

Lyn sighed. "Alright, then, have fun."

"But then there's only one important question..." Loki, whom Lyn could tell wasn't Thor because he wasn't huge and holding a hammer, spoke up. "Vikings or Titans?"

Lyn grinned. "Neither. My family were Cowboys fans. I don't like football."
© Copyright 2011 Professor Q (UN: rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Professor Q has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737289-Day-14-Divinity