*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737648-Day-18-Quote-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1810186
For she who forgets must now remember her tale...
#737648 added October 22, 2011 at 9:20pm
Restrictions: None
Day 18: Quote Day
WORD COUNT: 853

"This is bullshit."

Hermes and Lucifer each turned from whatever it was they were doing to stare at Lyn. It was a waiting game these days; waiting for their enemy to do whatever it was that he was going to do. No one had ever mentioned to her that there was so much waiting to be done in saving the world. In the movies, the full moon on the second Tuesday that also happened to fall on the equinox was conveniently just around the corner, leaving our intrepid heroes with barely enough time to solve the mystery and save the day. Apparently, real life wasn't a damn thing like that. The special day wherein the enemy could make a cataclysmic change for the whole of humanity was actually two weeks away.

It was kind of boring.

Lucifer raised an eyebrow. "What's bullshit?"

"This Lewis Carroll quote. Utter and complete bullshit. If you don't know where you're going, how the hell does it matter that you have a thousand roads to choose from? You don't know what it is you want, so the road becomes meaningless! Gah!" Lyn tossed the book she was reading on the floor, then, realizing what she had done, jumped out of her chair and ran to pick it up. "Sorry."

Hermes looked over at Lucifer and shook his head. "Don't encourage her. She'll go on for hours about whatever it is that's pissed her off this time. Eve lives to argue for the fun of it."

"Do not." Lyn groaned and sat back in the chair. "Lewis Carroll says that it not knowing where you're going opens up a whole world of possibilities. But what's the point wandering around with nowhere to go? Just wandering aimlessly accomplishes nothing!"

"And she says she doesn't argue for the sake of arguing," Hermes muttered, sneaking a glance over at Lucifer, who allowed a small smile to play about his lips. Lyn stuck her tongue out at the god.

"But what of the journey, Eve?" Lucifer--Lucian, Lyn reminded herself again--asked suddenly. "Doesn't the journey matter at all? I think that's what Carroll was saying. If you don't have a destination, it doesn't matter which way you use to get to where you're going. Do you always plan everything? You don't ever just take a jump into something and damn the consequences?"

"That's different." Lyn turned to look at Lucifer, admiring as ever the beauty inscribed in every inch of his face. She'd thought Hermes was a handsome creature, but even he paled in comparison to the fallen angel sitting next to him. Arguing--discourse--with him was proving to be one of the few breaks in the otherwise tedious business of watching and waiting for Conrad to finish whatever preparation he was making. They were trying to figure it out, of course, and Lucian had as many minions as he could spare out and about, searching for whatever clues they could find, but it appeared that even Conrad himself didn't know what he was looking for. Only his ally, whoever she was, knew exactly what was going on, and no one could figure out who said ally happened to be.

Not that Lyn minded. Spending time with her friend and Lucian was rather enjoyable. Hermes was his usual self, though he didn't have to disappear near as often since Lucifer was sharing some of his almost boundless power, and Lucian...well, Lucian was quickly becoming the single most fascinating thing in the world for Lyn. He was a creature of such pain, such depth, and yet he looked at her with such softness that Lyn almost couldn't help loving him a little bit. Or maybe a lot. She wasn't sure.

"How is it different?" Lucian raised his eyebrow again, blue eyes sparkling with amusement. "Life isn't about the destination...especially for mortals, for whom the destination is death. It is always about the journey...about the exploration to be had while you live on this planet. Lewis Carroll is very much correct in his supposition."

Lyn sighed. "You...how can I argue against a creature as old as the planet? As old as the universe? You take the fun right out of it!" Lucifer smiled as he sat back in his chair and picked up the book he was reading. He was always reading, actually, another thing that Lyn loved him for. He was nothing like what she had expected Lucifer to be like. And the fact that he was absolutely gorgeous as well as smart and nice...well, losing an argument might not be fun, but if it meant hearing Lucian speak and feeling his eyes upon her, then Lyn was willing to deal with it.

"That's just 'cause he beat you," Hermes interjected as he ran his fingers along the strings of a lyre Lucian had procured for him. "You hate to lose."

Lyn stuck her tongue out again, but went back to reading, feeling a warmth spread through her limbs as she thought of Lucian's smile. Maybe Carroll was right. After all, just going with it had led her here. And here she rather liked.
© Copyright 2011 Professor Q (UN: rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Professor Q has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737648-Day-18-Quote-Day