*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/738592
by spidey
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1819881
NaNo 2011 - memoir about my past jobs and my current job search
#738592 added November 18, 2011 at 2:23pm
Restrictions: None
Working while in school
I think anyone who goes to school full time (college or high school) and works (even part time) at the same time deserves a medal. And a pay raise.
It can be really difficult to balance school work and a job. There’s so much extra work that goes into education – there are the multitudes of assignments given that you have to work on outside of just going to class. And each teacher or professor seems to think that you only have one class – theirs. It’s not uncommon to have to read an entire book or two each week, write 2-5 papers per week, etc., and that could all be outside of your main area of study. My husband went to an art school where he was constantly having to draw, paint or sculpt these massive projects that took hours upon hours, and that was outside of the reading and writing required for his general education classes.

So when you add a part-time job on top of that, the workload can get insane! Thankfully, most of us are in our invincible twenties when we take on this massive amount of time-demanding work. I think that’s why it’s such a great time to have children, too (though not at the same time as work and college. That truly deserves an medal – like an Olympic medal or a Nobel prize or something). In our twenties, our recovery rate is truly impressive. We can go to class all day, spend a few hours at work, pull an over-nighter (either school work or partying) and then go another day with maybe a quick nap to recover.

Enjoy it while you can, because, believe me, when you hit your thirties, it gets a LOT harder to keep up that pace!

The trick to working while in college is to find a job that works around your schedule, which brings me to Job Number Five:
© Copyright 2011 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/738592