*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/739813-I-am-an-Introvert
by spidey
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1819881
NaNo 2011 - memoir about my past jobs and my current job search
#739813 added November 18, 2011 at 2:52pm
Restrictions: None
I am an Introvert
I am an introvert in a world set up for extroverts. I can tell because I’ve felt outside the norm at every single job I’ve had. I’ve had some jobs that would be a surprise choice for an introvert (customer service positions, journalist, and business owner, to name a few), and I’ve felt uncomfortable and singled out at every one of those jobs. I’ve always had people saying, “We have to get you to come out of your shell!” and “We have to get you talking more!”

The funny thing is that I do talk. A lot. My husband asks me to slow down sometimes because I talk a lot and very fast when I’m excited about something. I just have a difficult time opening up to people when I first meet them.

An introvert isn’t shy; an introvert isn’t afraid to talk to people. An introvert isn’t anything to be ashamed of in any way. Whereas an extrovert gains energy from being with other people, an introvert gets energy from being alone. For an introvert, being in a large group of people can feel exhausting, while an extrovert would be in their element in that situation. Being introspective means a person is best within their own thoughts, but it doesn’t mean they can’t interact with others. They can even do well interacting with and working with other people, but they will just need some time alone to recharge.

Extroverts have a difficult time being alone, and tend to need other people around, so in my eyes, they both have advantages and disadvantages. But this world is catered toward the extrovert. We teach our kids as early as possible to be outgoing and to interact with other children. Socialization begins early and it’s important, but are we also teaching them that being alone or wanting to be alone is a bad thing? I think we just might be.








© Copyright 2011 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/739813-I-am-an-Introvert