*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743373-Day-Four-Tackling-the-Issues
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#743373 added January 4, 2012 at 11:49pm
Restrictions: None
Day Four: Tackling the Issues
"30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS
The Prompt: In 200 words or more, write a post about a world-wide issue that you feel needs support.
The Music: "Leave My Body" - Florence & the Machine


         Just one? Decision, decisions...

         This caught my attention a couple of days ago. Here's a link that started this all.



         I read "The Bloggess" for the laughs. She has the type of witty humor that boggles the mind while making you laugh the type of laugh that puts you out of commission for a while. You know, the laugh where the only sound that comes out of your mouth is a wheezing sound, and you double over at the waist because oxygen isn't reaching your lungs. She is hilarious, smart, and brutally honest.

         The other day I was reading her blog, and she was discussing something quite serious - her history of depression and self-harming. She states it was the hardest blog she has ever had to write. With announcing her battle with mental health issues, she puts a great deal at risk. Work, home, family. There are tags, labels that can follow you around for the rest of your days. It makes seeking help that much harder.

         Her blog hit the net, Twitter. I have an account on the network that I never really used. However, I checked her feed and watched as the comments blew up. So many people commented on their battle with depression, self-harming, and mental illness. Each told their story and offered courage to others. The raining sentiment - her willingness and courage to open up about her struggle allowed them to open up too, to keep going, to seek help.

         A small movement has started - #silverribbons - to spread awareness. This is my plug to help that cause.

         Depression and self-harming are large issues that carry even bigger stigmas. So many people suffer this debilitating illness, yet they are afraid to ask for help because of the implications. I've battled with depression for years. At times it seems like climbing a mountain where the peak keeps growing taller the higher you climb. The idea of continuing to move on is ever more the daunting. But it is like the Bloggess says, you hang on for the day when it isn't quite so difficult. It comes, although the day is never a predictable one. It helps all the more when you can ask for help. I was able to be open with some of my family, my guy, and most importantly, my doctor. There is hope even when it feels impossible.

         Everyone, world-wide, should be able to do the same without fear of recrimination.

NAMI - National Alliance on Mental Illness.
http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=depression


         End plug. *Bigsmile*

*Clef* For the delight of your ears. *Clef*

© Copyright 2012 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743373-Day-Four-Tackling-the-Issues