*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746450-January-7-short-story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1568380
Hodgepodge of things. Contest entries, short stories, scenes, my newsletters and other ...
#746450 added February 5, 2012 at 4:00pm
Restrictions: None
January 7 short story
Daniel sat crying on his new bed in Titus’ home. “I want Mommy!”

Titus sat on the side of the bed and tried to calm his son. “Mommy is not home tonight. I can’t just call her to come here. You want me to read you another story?”

“No! I want Mommy!” Daniel punched Titus in the chest with his small fist. It didn’t hurt physically, but Titus was sad that he wasn’t able to give him more comfort.

He pulled his cell out of the cargo pocket and offered, “How about we call her and ask her to wish you good night over the phone?”

“I want her to come here!”

“Look, I’m dialing her number. You have to stop screaming so she can hear me.”

“Hello?” Jessica’s worried voice came over the speaker.

Neither Titus nor Jessica were able to get in a word in as Daniel launched into a hysterical fit of wailing and crying. The only word that was understandable every now and then was ‘Mommy.’ To be able to speak with her, Titus left the room. He felt horrible. Daniel screamed even louder for being left behind, but Titus had to tell Jessica that Daniel was not being hurt.

“Jess, I’m sorry to call you like this. Daniel won’t go to sleep without you.”

Apparently, Jessica also had her phone on loudspeaker as he heard Alex’s voice groaning, “He’s just making this up to ruin our date.”

Jessica snapped at him, “Shut up. My kid is crying. Titus?” Her voice was friendly. “What’s happening?”

Titus sighed. “Daniel won’t go to sleep without seeing you. I offered to call you so you could wish him good night over the phone.”

“Let me talk to him.”

Titus opened the door to the child’s room. Daniel stood next to his bed in his pajamas clutching his hands together and crying. He was so relieved to see Titus, he forgot to cry long enough for Titus to say, “Mommy is on the phone.” Daniel reached for the phone and went right back to crying. Titus could hear Jessica’s calming voice, but it didn’t reach through the layers of anguish and tiredness that Daniel was caught in.

Titus took the phone back. “Look, I’m sorry I’ve disturbed you. Calling you wasn’t such a good idea after all. We’ll toughen it out Daniel and me.”

“No, I’m coming there. Tell him I’m on my way.”

Titus carried Daniel into the living room. He turned on the TV and put Yo Gabba Gabba on. The thing was entirely outrageous to Titus, but Daniel liked it.

Twenty minutes later, Jessica came in. Daniel jumped up from Titus’ lap and ran to her. He immediately turned the sirens back on.

Jessica carried him to his bedroom speaking softly in Spanish to him. Titus stayed in the living room. He didn’t know why this had happened. He’d stayed at Jessica’s place with Daniel over night when Jessica worked a night shift at the hospital. He would have never thought that sleeping in his house would be any different.

Titus sat on the couch leaning forward over his legs and resting his face in his hands. Jessica startled him as she put a soft hand on his shoulder. He stood up. “Is he asleep?”

She nodded.

“You want to call Alex? It’s not too late for the two of you to get back to your date.”

She shook her head.

Titus dug his car keys out of his pocket. “Take the Charger. I can’t give you a ride. I wouldn’t want to leave him alone now.”

She gave a little chuckle and shook her head again. “I promised Daniel to stay here until he wakes up.”

Alarmed, Titus quickly said, “I did not tell him to ask for that.”

“I know, CariƱo.”

She sat down on the sofa and let out a deep sigh. Titus sat down too, but left ample space between them. “What did I call you away from?”

“Dinner.”

He jumped up. “I’ll make you dinner.”

From the kitchen, he saw her pick up a Wii controller. He smiled as he saw her set up Mario Kart. She folded her legs to sit more comfortably and dove into the colorful and safe world of Nintendo.

The delicious scents of roasting meat and soon filled the house. Once the meal was complete, Titus called Jessica to the dining table. “I hope this makes up for your missed meal.”

She stepped closer and smiled. “Yes, it does.”

They enjoyed the meal and kept all conversation centered on Daniel. It was a safe topic. After dinner, Titus took away the dishes. Over the counter, he said, “I call the couch.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You can have my bed.”

She frowned. “Why would you sleep on the couch?”

He shrugged his shoulders and didn’t look at her. She stood up and slowly walked around the long black granite counter. She put both her hands on his face and said tenderly, “We’re still married. We should sleep in the same bed.”

He swallowed hard. Brusquely, he freed his face and walked away from her in a fast pace to his bedroom. “Okay.” In his room, he shed his pants and socks, but kept his t-shirt and boxers on. He slipped under the covers and stayed on the far end of the mattress.

Jessica came after him. She slowly took off the dress she wore. She only had a bra and a thong on. She let her bosom free. Titus turned his face away. How had he been so stupid to run her off? As she climbed in the bed on the other side, he turned away. She was practically naked in his bed with him. So close, he could turn over and touch her. Yet, she was so far away.

Quietly, she said, “We didn’t brush teeth.”

He jumped out of his bed and ran to his master bathroom. On his way, he mumbled, “There should be spares in the hallway bath.” He closed the door behind him and locked it. Minutes later, they were back in bed, now with minty breath. He turned the light off and said, “Sleep tight.”

“You too.”



© Copyright 2012 Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT (UN: annette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746450-January-7-short-story