*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747125-Another-Dream-Recollection
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#747125 added February 15, 2012 at 8:57am
Restrictions: None
Another Dream Recollection
Another Dream Recollection

Sometimes I feel on about the forth or fifth day following a head cold an amazing clarity of mind. I wonder if maybe the cold virus has a symbiotic attachment to human kind and about once a year they come in and perform a housekeeping function.

Last night I had a vivid dream….I was in a military sniper’s class and I was about to be eliminated from the course for want of aptitude. I noticed on the blackboard some algorithms that had been erased from a previous advance class and copied them down. A study of these equations led me to speculate that they were used in a computer program designed to detect and eliminate a sniper that had been particularly effective.

In WW2 for example there were Russian snipers, particularly in Stalingrad, no doubt Leningrad and elsewhere who ran up a particularly high head count of German Soldiers… That the problem became so acute that Berlin sent in a special team of operatives to try and eliminate these Russian ground“Aces.”

I was reading something about Stalingrad and one of the Aces was talking about Berlin’s intentions and speculating what sort of techniques the German team might intend to use to track them down. In other words the Russians concluded it would be a step beyond using a more sophisticated, highly trained and better equipped rifleman.

I recall being intrigued at the time but remember the discussion stopped short of discussing further options.

One hypothesised was to use a specially equipped armored vehicle. This seemed like a particularly good idea but only one of many possibilities that present themselves in host of technological advances that have surfaced in the past fifty years.

Anyway these algorithms I concluded came from a “Counter Sniper” program that was part of the package used to track these shooters down. I recall in the dream trying to identify what the variables stood for and some stood out…like 60mm mortar, 81mm mortar, 4.2 mortar, Bradley Fighting Vehicle (BFV), Abram’s tank, (M-1), ATV, UPV (Un piloted vehicle) RR, (Robotic Rifle), 8in. Then acronyms that applied to control systems for these weapons, like cell phones, lap tops, and finally sound sensing systems linked to GPS tracking devices; how the equations were designed to be used in concert depending on the MO the shooter used. In other words like a combination of antibiotics targeting a resistant threat organism. So this brings us back to the cold virus, dreams and waking up with a clear mind.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747125-Another-Dream-Recollection