*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747759-An-Era-Ends
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#747759 added February 24, 2012 at 12:53pm
Restrictions: None
An Era Ends
Contracts are exchanged and keys handed over, so the new owners of my parent's home are moving in today. It's a surreal feeling and hard to take on board the house we grew so familiar with will be totally revamped and looking very different before too long. We console ourselves that can only be for the better and hope the lovely couple taking over will be very happy there raising their family. We have our happier memories along with the rather traumatic ones of the last few years.

Ironically, it was a year to the date yesterday of the horrendous fire which forced my Dad into agreeing to move to a Care Home. Who knew what can happen in the space of a year? A perfect example of why we should try to take one day at a time. The memories of that awful day will never leave me, but hopefully I'll have the time to enable them to fade somewhat. At least now I'm assured my tear ducts haven't stopped functioning, which I once feared. *Cry*

There was one comforting thing that came about as a result of the fire. Towards the end of last year I discovered from a local Newspaper that the Paramedic who had rescued my Dad from the house received a National Award for bravery. We had tried to put his name forward for recognition at the time of the fire and despite the heartache, we were pleased he'd been rewarded. I resolved not to let him know my Dad has since passed, as it seemed wrong to take away the pride he reported he'd feel every time he looks at the award on his mantelpiece.

So the end of another era, though I have to say neither the Estate Agents or Solicitors have helped make this an easy ride. This should have been a simple house sale as there was no chain and the new owners first time buyers. The house sold for a humble price, but we are left wondering how much of the estate will be left once we receive the bills. Apart from putting up a board outside the house, making a few phone calls and sending bumph through the mail which has taken us hours to fill in, we can't really see what they've done to earn what will no doubt be massives charges.

Below is one of the letters, word for word as we received it from the so called Solicitors. I'm sure like me you can spot at least half a dozen punctutation, grammar and typing errors in it. It hardly makes you feel confident in their level of professionalism.

'Futher to the matter of your sale please can you provide us with the death certificate for Mrs ***** *******. Furthermore we note the probate has been made with Mrs ******** ****** therefore we still require certified Identification from her. I understand that she is living aboard but we still require this information and the professional person can be the equivalent of where she is living. I have enclosed out Money Laundering information letter for your guidance on this matter.'

The letter wasn't signed either.

Why they needed our Mum's death certificate we have no idea, or why they thought my sister lived aboard or even abroad for that matter. We have discussed whether she's aboard a train, bus or plane but she said she'd prefer a cruise boat if I don't mind.

Next life I'm going to be an Estate Agent or a Solicitor. It seems not only is it money for old rope, but you don't even need to be literate or able to type. I wonder if I'll be as sarcastic next time round. *Rolleyes*

© Copyright 2012 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747759-An-Era-Ends