*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747918-Ordinary-Man
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#747918 added February 27, 2012 at 8:01am
Restrictions: None
Ordinary Man
A Most Ordinary Man

Today (Sunday) Linda and I went to Tomah to an Antique Show. Linda and I get a big kick out of them and we don’t spend much…. Just look around for the most part.

In Eau Clair last year I bought a small piece called “Naughty Art” which are small porcelain figures from the turn of the century of women scantily clad, usually in bathing suits, that at the time were considered “Risqué” but by today’s standards are quite modest. Anyway most of the good stuff came from Germany and these pieces have become quite expensive and rare.

Today I saw a collection of about eight (8) that ranged in price from $125-$375. That was way out of our price range and we passed, but it was fun to see some quality stuff in an otherwise unexceptional show.

It used to be that there was a lot of cool stuff out there, but the past thirty years have seen most of it disappear into private collections and what is left… was not anything to get excited about when it was new, and age has done little to alter that sad fact.

We did buy a large Delft Platter of a Man and Woman in a horse cart. Twenty years ago I was in Delft Holland and bought an Urn for Linda. Never buy an “Urn” for a woman, regardless of how nice you think it looks… Buy instead an Armani scarf or a tasteful piece of jewelry…. Anyway I couldn’t have bought the platter in Holland back then for ten times what I paid for it today. That is why you need to keep an open mind when you go into an antique store or show… I have never yet gone in looking for something in particular and found it affordable. It is always something totally unexpected.

Most of my blog feedback is over some occasional political commentary I decide to write. It never fails that I get a full range of responses from those who agree to those who don’t. It is usually best if I restrict my blogs to writing and related matters, but I think doing that all the time makes my readers yawn. Actually that is not so bad because I am a very ordinary person and I say that not in a self-deprecating sense but with the realization it is absolutely true. If you were to meet me at a book store you would think, Me-O-My what an ordinary and singularly unnoteworthy person standing over there. Then, and only if you got to know me better would you conclude…how right you were to begin with. *Bigsmile*

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747918-Ordinary-Man