*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748154-The-Beat-goes-on
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#748154 added March 2, 2012 at 10:18am
Restrictions: None
The Beat goes on
The Beat goes on.

Right now I am intrigued by the series “Downton Abby.” What intrigues me is not the subject or the period but how the writers managed the wide array of characters in the way they did.

When I wrote Essence and the Stones, it had a broad range of characters that were doing things in a story world that was connected but vast in scope. Everybody was on the same time line but in the beginning of the story they were not in close physical proximity. So I am perplexed about how to write this novel with the wide array of characters and the geographical separation without confusing the heck out of the readers.

In Downton Abby they accomplish this but everything is centered on the Abby. It is a good model for my story but maybe if I start it with a vista and then a map and then a series of locations I can pull it off.

Linda is on a rant over the kitchen cabinets that are falling apart and getting Lows to come out and fix them. Then there is the issue with the taxes. She took the H&R Block course years ago and why we have somebody else do them when she is so knowledgeable makes me scratch my head. Anyway she is not a very patient person and flies off the cuff on occasion. I try and tell her not to shoot from the hip but she does anyway even though she tries to be polite. I have a rule that when something or someone jerks my chain I wait 24 hours to respond. This is particularly the case with e-mails but it also pertains to writing in general. If I would be disturbed at seeing it posted on the church bulletin board I am careful to not write it down to begin with… Not that I really care too much anymore who might not like what I have to say…. On the other hand I don’t want to be insensitive and ruin someone’s day for no reason.

Last night I grilled in the snow. Is that a hoot or what? I should have taken a picture… All the outdoor cats were gathered around watching me like it was the media event of the year. The meat was sure were good and I might consider doing it again soon. It put Linda in a great mood.

Yesterday I finished an essay, “The Exploratory Writing Workshop (EWW) in a Nutshell. It covered four (4) type written pages. I wanted a condensed form so when I finish my outline later today, giving the example for the final lesson eight (8), I’ll be able to show the students where all the operational and strategic stuff plugs. After reviewing the first of the outline submissions I am wondering how carefully the students are reading the class materials … are they whisking over it or are they trying to make sure they are covering what we talked about in the workshop. Most, I think, will take something away but I sense that the greater part will roll off like the proverbial water and a duck’s back.

I think I will send them the Nutshell in one of my “Hello Everybody” group emails. What else is there? Once they submit next week’s outline the class is over… (but the beat goes on…*Bigsmile*)

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748154-The-Beat-goes-on