*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748253-Pre-St-Paddys
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#748253 added March 3, 2012 at 10:47pm
Restrictions: None
Pre St Paddy's
    Besides eating seafood, and other Irish dishes, there's always Irish music. I don't mean Celtic Women.

    Granted, Celtic Women have been a little over-exposed to us TV addicts, and the prolific touring. Still their sound is pretty much the same. They are beautiful, lithe young women, mostly sopranos, who skip and dance in long flowing, gauzy gowns. They sing a few Irish songs, but they make all songs pretty much the same style. And every show has the dancing violinist. If you like them. fine, but don't think of it as Celtic songs.

    Another group, Celtic Thunder is all men, only 5 of them. They don't dress in dream-like costumes or dance like vixens, but they do move around in an almost funny fashion, perfectly timed, of course. However, their voices are quite nice, and many more Irish songs are sung, including The Irish National Anthem. You have to understand a little Irish history and the fighting spirit to get it, but they are definitely worth a listen.

    Tommy Makem is a must, as are the Clancy Brothers. "Whiskey In a Jar" and "Finnegan's Wake" are songs you have to hear. The latter inspired the book by the same name. "Danny Boy" was actually written by an Englishman, but is always sung on St. Patrick's Day.

    As for the phrase, the "luck of the Irish", heavens know where that comes from. The Irish haven't been particularly lucky. They've endured famine, poverty, war, occupation, and more war. Maybe saying, "Luck of the Irish to you" is a curse, not a blessing!

© Copyright 2012 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748253-Pre-St-Paddys