*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749063
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1855636
A novel I attempted to write for NaNoWriMo '11. Slightly dystopian/futuristic.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#749063 added April 7, 2012 at 7:51pm
Restrictions: None
Prologue
Prologue




         As the computer terminal flickered to life, two scientists in white lab coats entered the room. "Did the results finish compiling", asked the taller of the two."Almost, we just need to get the resistance code from the subject in question, then the project can be released", replied the other. While the two scientists prattled on, a small figure crept in the room, concealed by the crates of computer parts and other nerdware beside the entrance. The few shadows thrown by the low light blended into the dull grey walls. Its concealing protection obscured the figure from the scientists' view. The figure crawled closer to the computer terminal, listening intently on the scientists."When will the extraction team be able to collect him?", asked the shorter scientist. "There was a disturbance in some of the Bottom Cities, so they won't be  able to retrieve the specimen until it calms down." Pulling a keycard from his labcoat pocket, the tall scientist inserted it into a slot on the computer terminal. Code started racing across the screen, moving so that only brief snatches of it could be read. The scientists, now ignoring the terminal, were still talking. "Well, we have to wait until after the tests to be sure", the tall scientist noted. The short scientist nodded his head in affirmation. The scientists, giving the terminal a final glance, moved towards the exit. Frantically, the girl crept back into the shadows. The scientists, oblivious to their eavesdropper, passed through the doorway and disappeared from sight. The girl stood up and, after a quick glance around, moved towards the terminal. She pulled a data drive out of the small black bag she was carrying and plugged it up to the computer. The code froze and a dialog popped up."Copy Data?", the screen read. The girl pressed enter. A progress bar appeared onscreen. She watched anxiously, realizing that every second there was an opportunity to get caught. The screen read 67 percent. Reaching back in the bag, she pulled out a small chip. On the front it read: DNA-Resequence-A. She inserted it into another slot. By now, the screen read 96 percent. 97... 98... 99...100. The dialog disappeared. She typed a quick sequence on the keyboard. "Rewrite sequence?" Enter. Putting the drive and chip back in the bag, she heard a clicking noise. She froze, dread filling her as she felt the cold press of metal against her temple.
© Copyright 2012 Oliver16 (UN: oliver16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Oliver16 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749063