*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749065
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1855636
A novel I attempted to write for NaNoWriMo '11. Slightly dystopian/futuristic.
#749065 added March 18, 2012 at 1:43am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Chapter 2

         
                   Ellene awoke to the shrill sound of pieces of metal grating against each other. Brushing her raven hair out of her face, she winced as her head throbbed in pain. "If I could just get my medi-pack out of my bag..." Horror filled her as her memory flooded back: the mission, the data, the stone-faced guards carrying lethal corruption guns, a brief flash of pain, then black. Nothing.
                   Determination surged back into her, burning away the fear and doubt. “I just need a plan,” she thought. Examining her surroundings, she realized she was in a cell. A detention cell. Despite her efforts to subdue it, a seed of fear started to grow. Back at the HQ, novices were frightened with stories about what goes on in detention facilities. It was here that the scientist, who they opposed in every way possible, tested on 'superfluous' subjects, meaning everyone who they  disliked or who spoke out against them that they caught in their snares.
                   Ellene grimly continued studying her cage. The more she observed, the less likely it seemed that she would manage to escape. Especially without her pack. During training, the number one rule was to never give up your equipment. Never let give the enemy an opportunity  to learn about you. “Not that I have much of a choice,” she thought bitterly. Hearing footsteps clicking against the tile floor, she slipped into the darkest corner of the cell and watched the door warily.
                   The door opened and a man in a gray suit entered. Chills ran down her spine as his cold blue eyes seemingly pierced her soul. “Well, if it isn't our little intruder,” he sneered icilly.  The man pulled a small remote out of his suit pocket and pressed a button on it. A small chair  materialized, flickering like a hologram for a moment, then solidifying. He sat down and observed the girl. “Have a seat,” he said quietly, motioning to a chair opposite to him. His voice was neutral, but Ellene could sense an underlying menace to  his words.  Against her better nature, she  hesitantly walked over and sat down. “No point in  causing trouble for myself,” she thought.  “I am Dr. DeScheele,” the man stated. His tone of voice clearly demanded a response, but Ellene remained silent. DeScheele, seemingly unfazed by her obvious hostility, continued, “We know why you're here. We know who you are, so you would be wise to cooperate with us.” Ellene, still silent, recognized the hidden threat behind his words. “What do you want from me then?” she defiantly inquired. “Get it over with already!” A quizzical smile crossed the doctors face as he asked, “Get what over with? Ah!, of course they would have filled your mind with all sorts of propaganda, half-truths in all. I suppose you expect us to torture every iota of information out of you then lock you in some cold, dark cell in our dungeons with no food or water. Ellene glared at him. “I though so”, he concluded smugly. “I'm afraid our methods are much less dramatic, yet infinitely more effective. Either you do what we ask, or we will erase all your memory for the past 3 years and let you leave. It was tempting. It really was. The past couple years had not exactly been fun and exiting. Novice training was grueling and espionage training nerve-wracking. “No!” she thought vehemently. “I can't give up now, with so much relying on this mission.” Still, helping someone as vile as DeScheele made her feel sick. “What do I have to do?” she asked, for the second time. “All in due time”, the doctor said, “first, there is someone I'd like you to meet.
© Copyright 2012 Oliver16 (UN: oliver16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Oliver16 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749065