*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749067
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1855636
A novel I attempted to write for NaNoWriMo '11. Slightly dystopian/futuristic.
#749067 added March 18, 2012 at 1:49am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 4
Chapter 4


                   Lucas followed DeScheele along another seemingly random path through white halls and chrome doors. “How can this place be so big?” Lucas asked, almost to himself. “70 percent of our facility is underground”, DeScheele replied, not even missing a step. “We take much pride in our equipment and facilities, we like to think they are the most advanced on the planet. Entering another white room, Lucas immediately noticed one of those humming machines, sitting beside a chrome chair. The hair on his neck stood up. The chair had restraining clamps. “Now”, said DeScheele, “let's get you some memories back.” He gestured toward the chair. Lucas hesitated. “Go on, I won't lock you in it. Those are for some of our more...reluctant...subjects. Lucas, against his better nature, sat down in the chair. It was icy to the touch. DeScheele attached an electrode that came off from the side of the machine onto Lucas's temple. It too was frigid. “They must keep everything this cold”, Lucas concluded. “Just lay back and go to sleep. You won't feel a thing”, DeScheele soothed. Taking his words to heart, he leaned back and closed his eyes. He almost didn't feel the slight prick of a syringe puncturing his forearm.

                                                           
***

                   This time, his unconsciousness wasn't a restful coma devoid of color and meaning. This time, his mind meandered through incomprehensible scenes and places. He saw faces he didn't recognize, yet held that familiar touch that he had come to dislike; the headaches it brought almost unbearable. The faces brought back memories; returning some sense of meaning to what  he saw. Hours seemed to go by. The more he saw, the more it felt like a broken puzzle was coming back together; a moziac of his life. However, he noticed that much of this moziac was still unfinished. Stolen. Twice he saw DeScheele's face; both times it was contorted in hate and malice. The evil he felt was almost tangible. He could shake the feeling that he was the object of DeScheele's loathing, but how that could be, he had no idea. Toward the end of his odd state of slumber, he saw the smallest flash of a girl's face. “I knew she recognized me from somewhere”, he thought. That was his last cognitive content before he awoke.
                   He was still in that chrome chair. “Welcome back”, DeScheele exclaimed, practically crowing. “How long was I out?” Lucas inquired. “A couple minutes, your memories were buried a little deeper than most.” “A couple minutes? It felt like hours!” “The sub-conscious doesn't have a watch DeScheele said dryly. Lucas reached up and pulled off the electrodes on his head. Immediately after his head was wracked with pain, throbbing in dull waves. “An unfortunate side-effect”, the doctor articulated with a hint of amusement. “Aren' t you a doctor? Shouldn't you give me something for it?” Dr. DeScheele's amusement grew. He gave Lucas a wry smile and said, “Indeed, I guess I should. I'm sure the Director would approve, don't you?” The Director. Horror filled Lucas's thoughts as the name brought back memories that he certainly didn't have 10 minutes ago. A flash of hundreds of people in cages. A paper that read “Extermination Order”.
It was signed with simply 'The Director' at the bottom. No name, just that chilling title.
                   From the ever-present smug look on DeScheele's face, he knew that he had mentioned that name for a purpose. Lucas was beginning to understand something about the doctor. He never did anything on a whim. All his actions, his words, even his expressions, were to meet an end. “Now if I could just discover what end it is he is using me to meet.” Lucas thought. Somehow, Lucas knew he had been used by DeScheele before. And look where it got him.
                   He got up unsteadily, grabbing the edge of the chair to prevent himself from falling over. Thankfully, the debilitating pain that wracked his cranium was gradually fading and his coordination was coming back. Eager to be out of the doctor's clutches, Lucas, through gritted teeth, asked, “What is it I have to do? Why do I need to go with that girl to....wherever it is she's going? What am I supposed to do there?” DeScheele was quiet for a moment, studying the palms of his hands intently, then replied, “Our agents have uncovered proof that suggests some of our enemies are working on a so-called 'cure' for our virus. It won't kill the virus of course, we engineered safeguards for that. However, it will undo all the genetic changes that the virus makes. It will destroy the paradise that we plan to build from the bottom up. Think of it Lucas: no sickness, no death, no contention. It would be a perfect world. “That sounds great”, Lucas interrupted “but what does this have to do with me?” DeScheele flashed him an irritated glance. “It has everything to do with you. You live in this world don't you? But future plans aside, we need you to accompany Ms. Ellene to her associates and recover the data on that abomination they are trying to create. “So her name is Ellene”, Lucas thought, not paying attention to the doctor’s raving. DeScheele went on, “On your way there, you will more than likely pass through the Bottom Cities. Ask around for a Dr. Briggs. When you find him, I expect you to give him the vial we discussed earlier. From there, Ellene will lead you to you're destination. You must do whatever it takes in order to obtain that data. Oh, and while you're there, keep an eye out for my brother. Lucas looked up in surprise. “DeScheele has a brother?” he wondered. “He might try to detain you from reaching me if he finds out your motive, so it's imperative you remain undiscovered.”
                   Lucas finally released the chair, his coordination returned sufficient enough for him to stand up. DeScheele turned around, facing his back to Lucas. Peering around him, Lucas saw a shimmering hologram that resembled a black backpack. It flickered a couple of times then solidified. DeScheele picked it up off the floor and handed it to Lucas. “That contains everything you might need, so don't lose it.” Peering inside that bag, Lucas spotted a variety of objects, including what appeared to be some sort of gun. He reached in the bag and pulled it out. It was a dull, jet black color. It's sleek angular structure gave it a sort of menacing appearance. Looking up at DeScheele in askance, he said, “Why do I need this?” “Oh, just in case”, DeScheele responded, that horrible smile stretched broadly across his face. Lucas went to place the gun back into the gun, but on a whim, he put it in his back pocket. “If I might have to use it, I might as well have it on hand”, he thought grimly.
                   He peered into the bag again. Inside it, he saw another sleek, black, data drive in addition to a remote similar to DeScheele's. DeScheele, who had been observing him carefully the entire time, nodding his head in response to his unasked question. So it was like his. “Don't run the battery down”, was all DeScheele said, his eyes never leaving Lucas's face. Everything else in the back comprised of clothes, a pack of what looked like some kind of freeze-dried food, and a roll of currency. Lucas examined the red currency, but it was unfamiliar to him. He had no idea how much it was, but it looked like no small amount.
                   DeScheele shifted his weight to his other leg, the only sign of impatience Lucas had ever seen him display. Standing back up, Lucas closed the backpack and put it on. “I guess I'm ready”, he stated, anxiety blossoming in his chest. Without a word, DeScheele motioned him to follow out of the room. Lucas followed, having no idea where they were going or what he was really getting himself into.
© Copyright 2012 Oliver16 (UN: oliver16 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Oliver16 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749067