*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749076-Stupid-Blogs
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#749076 added March 18, 2012 at 9:42am
Restrictions: None
Stupid Blogs
Stupid Blogs

People come to this site to learn about writing. When I talk about politics, building cars or my passion for porcelain figurines it should come as no surprise that at writing.com most who come here don’t want to waste their precious moments reading about matters they have no interest in. I get this…honest I do but my blog is like a journal. Maybe someday somebody will be interested in what I was thinking about on a given day and find some of the information useful enlightening or whatever.

On top of my computer desk is a long wooden shelf several tiers high. On the bottom are slots for storing letters, next up a couple drawers and an open slot and on top a flat plane of wood for keeping books and knick-knacks. Felix got on top to gain access to the window sill and sent several of my figurines flying and one I am particularly fond of busted. Surprisingly I am not too bothered and will take steps to train her to stay off the surfaces and leave that corner empty in the future. What broke was a tall porcelain nude I had been painting and since I deal in broken stuff all the time what is one more piece that is glued back together?

My spelling is getting much better. Now when I see a word underlined in red from my spell checker I “play” around with it hoping to make the red underline go away. Used to be I let the spell checker do it at the end of the composition but these days I find myself zeroing in. I think it helps to struggle a little rather than just seeing the correction options and choosing the one that looks best.

Linda just asked if we were going to Church and I cringed. While she was working I went either every other Sunday or once a month. Now she will be wondering why we don’t go every week… I don’t really know the answer to that. I like church once I get there but it’s the getting there that is tough.

This top shelf of mine is crammed with thirty-six models or figurines. I bet you think I’m obsessive compulsive. I try not to psychoanalyze why I do what I do and rather just enjoy doing it. I’ll admit that sometimes I do get a bit carried away. Growing up we never had a lot but nobody was really deprived either. Now that Linda and I have a limited means we can indulge ourselves when we choose to do so. The Greeks had two favorite sayings that were printed over the Oracle at Delphi. These were “Know Yourself” and “All things in Moderation.” Surely a book could be written on both of these topics and I have little doubt that any of my readers are capable of writing them based solely upon their own experiences and observations in life.

For example under “Know Yourself,” you could talk about some of the things you do that you don’t want to… A chapter could be devoted to why you do the things you don’t want to. Another chapter could be written on self-destructive behavior. Another on some of the self-deprecating thought we often entertain for ourselves… Then of course there is being true to yourself which is another matter altogether. Now I know this is pretty philosophical stuff and if you want to speak in more practical terms think about the second adage.

“All things in Moderation.” Now I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting topics to write on this one. Do you ever read the stories of people who hit the Lotto and a year later are broke.. ? If not how about somebody that came into an inheritance and a year later were broke? There I go doing exactly what I just said I wouldn’t… Sorry. No wonder nobody reads these stupid blogs.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749076-Stupid-Blogs