*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749090-Chapter-2
Rated: 18+ · Book · Thriller/Suspense · #1854209
Ariadne Shaw is an FBI agent sent to flush out a serial killer on a mountaineering trip.
#749090 added March 18, 2012 at 12:08pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2
Paulina happily takes her pack from the cute, married guide.  “Wow, and you’re chivalrous too.  I am completely envious of your wife.”

“And I’m monogamous to a fault.  When I first started crushing on Suzy she was too young to date, but I stayed true.  Didn’t even look at other girls.”

Daylen coughs and glares at his best friend.  “You started crushing on my baby sister when she was too young to date?”  Exton grunts as Daylen tosses the heavy pack carelessly into his arms.  Jostled from his irritation with his brother-in-law, Daylen apologizes, “Sorry, Len.”

“No problem.  If someone had just admitted to a total stranger they were lusting after my underaged sister, I would have started throwing things as well.  Makes for a good ab workout…catching loaded packs.”

“Well, when I go to smother my best friend in his sleep, you will be strong enough to pull me off the big guy.”

Exton’s nervousness washes off his body as he smiles brightly.  “I highly doubt you will kill Toby in his sleep, but I will keep a look out.  How far are we hiking today?”

“Don’t know, I am along for the ride, so to speak.  My sister usually accompanies the ogre on his outings with you fine city folk.”

“Well, I’ve been on quite a few of these training trips.  First time in this part of the Cascades, but I can help out.  Maybe keep an eye on some of the less experienced members in the middle of the pack.  I have my first responders certification.”

“That sound like a plan.  Tobe will be leading, which gives me the rear, so the middle is all yours.  I have a full aid kit, complete with about a hundred yards of mole skin.  Keep one eye on their feet.  The minute one starts favoring, pull them off to the side so we can get the blisters covered.”

“Will do.”  As Exton moves to catch up with the gathered group at the trailhead, he exhales in relief, thinking to himself, ‘This will be a good trip.  These are good people.’

**

As Toby stands at the trailhead and goes over the plans for the morning, the group stands quietly, taking in the grandeur of their surroundings as they nod their compliance to Toby’s rules.  A small babbling brook winds down the left side of the grass covered hill and dips under the trail through a culvert to emerge in a roiling foam to their left.  Dragon flies dive and attack smaller flying insects as a woodpecker sounds in the distance with its staccato pecking.

Farther up the hill the tree line begins, aspen and various species of pine and spruce dotting the expanse of grasses.  As the hill peaks a larger rises behind it, promising a difficult hike to start their trip.  Paulina elbows Alicia and grins, while the others exchange glances of giddiness missed with trepidation.

With a flourish at the end of his instructions, Toby adds, “We are out here for eight days.  Do not play hero and try to hike through your pain this morning.  Small pains now lead to me having to carry you down later.  I get very cranky when I have to carry people.  So everyone, hands up in scout’s honor pose, and repeat after me.”  Warily they all look to each other, but raise their three fingers in salute.  “I promise to tell my guides when I have blisters or strained muscles.  I promise to tell my guides when I feel light headed or dizzy.  I promise to tell my guides when I can’t catch my breath or I start to feel my muscles cramp.”

After the repeating the pledge boots are checked, packs are loaded onto shoulders, straps are tightened, and everyone takes a few gulps of water.  Nodding up the hill, Toby turns with a huge grin tattooed on his features and leads the way. 

Daylen watches his clients fall into single file as they follow their leader and inhales slowly.  When he catches Adrienne glance back at him, he flushes and smiles shyly.  When Exton strikes up a conversation with her, Daylen’s smile evaporates.  ‘This is going to be a long eight days.’

**

After pushing for two solid hours, most of the group remains in surprisingly good spirits.  Paulina and Alicia fall into a giggling heap as they enter the clearing, the former’s voice light and sparkly, “Uh, I don’t care what anyone says…this is way better than a spa day.  I’m so glad you made me come out here.”

“See, I told you the best way to get over your soon to be ex-husband and test all those hours on the stair climber was becoming one with a mountain.”  Alicia’s blonde ponytail swirls in the breeze as she presents the scenery with all the talent of a high paid spokes model.  “Ryan has nothing on the grandeur around us.  This is why Buddhist monasteries are located on the tops of mountains.”


Toby laughs and nudges their feet as he addresses his friend, “I don’t know, Day, I kind of like this collection of city slickers.  I haven’t heard a single complaint, and they are bordering on happy.  Dare I say ecstatic?”

Nodding in agreement, Daylen searches his pack for a quick bite before they continue on to their first camp site.  He lets his hair fall over his eyes so he can study Adrienne, and the shock that runs through his body as he sees Tom sweetly flirting with her, causes a wave of heat and cold over his skin.  The internal scolding slaps across his brain.  ‘What the hell am I thinking?  I’m jealous over a girl I’ve seen for three hours…three freaking hours?  I haven’t even spoken more than twenty collective words to her.’

**

Watching him in her periphery, Adrienne startles at Daylen’s sudden jerk and head shaking as he kneels over his pack.  She can actually see his lips moving as he talks to himself.  Smiling slyly she dips into fantasy, nothing too heavy, just tying him to pieces of furniture…blindfolding him…dripping chocolate sauce over key parts of his body.  ‘I bet he has sexy ankles.’

Tom’s voice draws her back, “So you live in Seattle?”

“Yes.  Four years know, and only five days of sunlight.  Hence the pale complexion I’m sporting.”  Her hand highlights her skin tone from head to toe while she points her boot.  “But I love that city.  Too much to do, never enough time to be bored.”

“Hmm, and what is a pretty thing like you doing in the hipster capital of the United States?”

Her laugh brightens her eyes impossibly, carrying on the wind around the group.  “Outdoor education coordinator for an environmental education center.  Out here keeping up my ‘A’ game.” 

“Would have never pegged you for a teacher.  You seem more alert than the average paper-grader.”

“Not much grading in my area of expertise.  Just getting the little buggers to keep to the trail, not eat anything poisonous, or catch anything poisonous. It’s not survival training, or anything this intense.  Trying to build an appreciation for nature.”  As he nods and starts fishing through his pack for an energy bar, she asks, “Where do you hail from, Tom?”

“I hail from North Carolina originally.  Hence the smoothness to my verbal delivery.  Currently I reside in the Boston area, which has caused the disjointedness in my usually smooth verbal delivery.”  He smiles softly, the crows feet around his eyes deepening.

Adrienne nods and waves him on.  “Let’s go…job, favorite movie, last time you committed a felony.  You know, the usual first date questions.”

“Oh, this is a first date.  Never been out with someone as pretty as you.  I am flattered.  Insurance salesman, ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’, and I stole a candybar from the grocery when I was seven.  Mom wouldn’t buy it for me.  She caught me eating it under my bed.  Grounded me from TV for a week after she made me walk all the way back to the store to apologize.”

Leaning into him she whispers, “Who’s in the can?”

Astonishment replaces the smile developing over his features, both his faded blue eyes darting to the other clients and the two busy guides, “How did you know?”

“I love my coffee, pretty much a caffeine junky, but I don’t stroke my coffee cans.  At least not with a whole mess of love and affection like you are affording the one in your pack.”  As he blinks at her she adds, “Noticed it after the gear check back at the rescue station.”

“You are shrewd, my dear.”  He inhales slowly, then stalls just a bit more with an exhale twice as long.  As he continues, the corner of his mouth turns down, “Without express permission from our wonderful guides, I am bringing Danny on our dream honeymoon.”

Adrienne kneels next to him and covers his hand with hers.  “My lips are sealed.”  With sudden gusto, she kisses his cheek.  “That is beautiful, and going to make me cry.  If it’s not being too intrusive, how did he die?”

“Pancreatic cancer.  He made me promise I would bring him someplace stunning and peaceful.”

“Ok, this needs a hug.  This needs a huge amount of love.”

After a strong embrace Tom sniffs as he speaks, “Wow, a few hours in and I have a great friend.”

She smiles and hugs him closer.  “You bet.  I like you.  If you break something while we’re up here, I will totally carry this obnoxiously over-stuffed backpack while the big boys carry you down the mountain.”

“Don’t look, but the other guys are supremely jealous of me right now.”

“Well, I don’t see them rushing over to inquire about my life, and you are too cute to ignore.”

Tom laughs and addresses the hidden contents of his pack, “See Danny, we made a friend already.  Like I said, you have special powers, sweetheart.”

She studies the way the sun plays in his salt and pepper hair, and how the crinkles at the corners of his pale eyes deepen when he smiles.  “Danny’s also cute and sweet, but I was drawn to you, Tom.  I think you are the one with the super powers in this relationship.”

“Uh, and it keeps getting better.  I may demand to sleep in your tent tonight if I’m going to get this kind of flattery.  I’m at least going to move to Seattle to see you all the time.  Do you need an insurance salesman at the center?”

“We can always use professional eye candy around the place.” 

He smirks as he notes her gaze shifting towards the handsome, single, and much younger than him guide with the dreamy brown eyes.  As Daylen stretches and yawns, exposing a peek of his well toned abdominals, Tom shakes his head and pats his own stomach.  He may be pushing the later part of fifty, but his body has always been a temple, and winking at the hidden coffee can, he wishes Danny could see the effects of training for this week of climbing.

Adrienne actually licks her lips while she says, “Having your hot butt around would make coming to work way more worth it.”
         
“Shit, Danny, do you hear her.  I’m in love.  If she has a brother…”

“Sorry, only child.  And if we’re sharing a tent, I want snuggling.  Danny can chaperone.”

“I am stuck to you like mud on a work boot.  Unless you finally give into the temptation of our brunette instructor over there.”  The crinkles deepen to canyons with his amusement as he nods towards Daylen.

Her elbow contacts his ribs before she playfully slaps at him, but her pupils dilate and a blush rosies up her cheeks.  “Speaking of shrewd.  I would think you would be giving into his wiles.”

“Really?”  Tom looks Daylen up and down.  “My gaydar is not even blipping.  He is hot though.”

“I think so too, which assures me he’s gay.  I have a 100% track record of falling hopelessly for hot gay guys.  Why do you think I’m fawning all over you?”

“Yep, I’m keeping you.  You are better than a decade of therapy.”

**

Daylen retrieves the sandwich Suzy packed for him, frowning into his pack as he dissects the flirting and laughing from the duo across the clearing.  Of course she would be attracted to Tom, all six-foot-zero-percent-body-fat-yoga-fit-super-model of him.  When Toby punches him and knocks him off balance, sending him into a flailing heap on the ground, it takes quite a bit of control to not spring up and start a full on wrestling match.

“Jesus, Day.  What the hell is wrong with you?”

“Fuck off, Toby.”

His blonde friend plops down on the ground next to him with a matching sandwich.  “So, you’re jealous over her waxing friendly with the gay guy?”

“Once again, fuck off.  Maybe this is me frustrated over the fact your wife, my sister, is supposed to be out here with you and I’m supposed to be tucked away in the office listening to the radio, nursing the most recent evisceration from Chelsea.”

“Do you want Chelsea back?”

“Hell no!  Eight years of her cheating on me finally sunk in.  You are supposed to be supporting me moving on with my life after seeing the light, so to speak.”

“Which is good, because you want that Adrienne chick.”  Toby’s eyebrows bounce up and down.

“I hate you.”

“Not as much as you want to throw her down, rip that Underarmor off…”
         
Daylen hisses, “Tobe!  Shut the hell up.”

“Seriously, Daylen.  It’s been a few hours and I already know she is perfect for you.  Knows how to pack for a week in the mountains, breaks in her boots like a pro, not too chatty on a hike…she even helped our clients along some of the trickier sections today.  Perfect for you.”

“Go to hell.  Go to hell and never speak again.”

The blond behemoth holds his hands up and laughs.  “Haven’t said a word to your girlfriend.  Not yet anyway.”

Daylen tackles him and wrestles his best friend to the ground.  Thankfully the group busies with their own conversations and doesn’t notice the guides rolling down into a wooded area off the main path.

**

Paulina’s yell of freedom interrupts Toby’s friendly interrogation, “Go to hell, Ryan!  I’m climbing a mountain!  Bring the paperwork you cheating slime!  And good luck getting through life without me you piece of shit.  The little whore will not take care of your apartment, pay the bills, do the laundry, or dress your ass every morning.  She’s a child you dumbass.”

Alicia, Adrienne, and Tom burst into hysterical laughter, but Adrienne also starts clapping.  “Well said.  Too bad no one brought tequila.  That deserves a toast.”

Jennings, the oldest member of the group, holds up his water bottle, a twinkle in his eye as he toasts, “To Ryan!  May he go fuck himself and wallow in the stupidest thing he ever did…leaving this lovely creature.”

Alicia holds up her bottle.  “Here, here.  To moving on and living life.”

Toby drags Day back into the crowd with a headlock as he holds up his Nalgene to add, “Here, here.  To the best group I’ve ever led.  We’re tackling mountains people, be they emotional or physical.”

Daylen hits Toby in the stomach and chest, unable to get the advantage and force his friend to relinquish the hold on his neck.  “Damn it, Toby!”

“No, Day.  Damn it, Ryan.  Keep up with the conversation.  So far they all love me.  Damn it, Toby, should be heard later tonight when I pass out chores.  First one will hit around the assigning of firewood, but the loudest and most persistent will be from the person who gets to haul and wash dishes.”  After applying a harsh noogie to Daylen’s head he adds, “You get to babysit and put out the fire every night.  Isn’t that just precious?”

**

Adrienne observes the group and studies the happy smile on Exton’s face.  All the earlier weirdness from the guy seems to have dissipated.  ‘Guess I jumped the gun on that one.’

When his eyes meet hers, she plays with a smile and lift of her bottle.  He laughs and responds in kind, taking a large swig of his beverage.  She watches as he moves to Linda, the lanky brunette he helped with blisters earlier in the hike.  As he hands her an energy bar and coaxes her to sit and show him her feet, Adrienne settles and lays back on her pack, taking in the warmth of the sunshine and freshness of the air.


© Copyright 2012 cvwriter - school be crazy (UN: cvwriter2009 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
cvwriter - school be crazy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749090-Chapter-2