*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749683
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1857272
The adventures of a mature woman and the dreams of her life.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#749683 added March 27, 2012 at 12:48pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter Two
      This is it! I'm on my own. The men from the church delivered most everything yesterday and the ladies set up the kitchen for me. This last load consists of food and supplies to last for at least two weeks. I know I'll be in town in a few days, but to reassure that daughter of mine I brought enough to last me.

    "Lord, I don't know why this has come as such a shock to the kids. How often did I tell them that once they were grown and if they couldn't find me I'd be in the mountains. Remember Lord, Beth would tell me, "Mom, when I grow up and make lots of money I'll buy you a four wheel drive so you can get to town". She must have been only 12yrs old then. How can I be lonely Lord, I always have you to talk to."

    It was getting on in the morning and time to get this put away and make my first meal in my new home. I made a light lunch of sandwiches and fruit. Sitting on my front porch after lunch, I heard a truck come up the drive. "Who could that be! Don't tell me Joy came out to check on me already. Lord, what am I going to do with that girl". Instead of Joy, it was my neighbor chugging up my drive. No big new truck for Ray, just "old yeller". Dents from one end to the other. One of the old Bitterrooters, Ray held on to the past as much as he could. Well, other than the CD player playing country and his lap top. Oh and the cell phone to keep up with his kids.

  "Jean, welcome to the neighborhood" said Ray. " Got any coffee on?". "Come on up Ray. Let me put a fresh pot on. Cream or sugar?" " Nope just black. Um, well, um, I have something for you in the truck. I'll just be getting it while you put that coffee on."

    Watching him head back to the truck, I wondered what it could be? Yesterday, when we first met at the mail boxes he seemed down right gruff. Almost rude. In fact I thought I heard him mumble something about crazy women thinking they could survive in the wilderness. What is this about the wilderness!

    I looked around my cabin, still full of unpacked boxes, My "cabin" is really a 3 bedroom; top of the line appliances; spacious kitchen; beautiful bathrooms and library. It's not like I'm living in a lean to with no running water or electricity.

    Just as I was bringing out the coffee and the donuts I picked up at the bakery this morning, I heard the banging of the truck door. Ray kept hushing someone. Not someone, something. A dog. Not very old by the look of it. Hat in hand, Ray approached the cabin. "Now Jean", he said " I know you're a capable woman but I was thinking you shouldn't be out here all alone. Jake here is just a year old. Still young at heart, but a good watch dog. I thought he'd make a good companion for you. I raised him from a pup. He's all broke and all. Bear savvy he is. I know we live in a modern world, but we still have a few wild animals on this mountain. And well - I'd like to make him a present to you. It would make me feel a might more easy know'n you weren't all alone. I'm close and all you have to do is call and I'd be here lickety split. But a little protection  wouldn't be bad - would it?"
© Copyright 2012 Bitterroot Rose (UN: brrose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Bitterroot Rose has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749683