*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751642
Rated: GC · Book · Supernatural · #1856240
Loki might be an Old God, but he's not above using some New Tricks...(Character Sketch)
#751642 added April 25, 2012 at 12:33am
Restrictions: None
Day Ten: I've Been Loving You Too Long
Day Ten
         I've Been Loving You Too Long
Focus Word: Habit
Word Count: 2010

Freya pushed her way into my path after I finished saying good-bye to Baldur.

She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever met. After Aphrodite, she might be the most beautiful woman I have ever met. For those of you wondering why my vote for sexiest Old Goddess in town didn't go to one of my own pantheon, it's because Freya can be damned scary and, frankly, I don't like being frightened by beautiful women. There are those that do, of course, but I am not one of them.

So, to reiterate, Freya is sexy. But Aphrodite gets top marks from me. Not that any of you care, probably. But you try keeping your brain in line if a sexy woman (or man, whichever) stares at you. Especially when they're dressed to the nines and more than a little bit drunk.

Freya is a love goddess. She is also a war goddess. Right now, she seemed to be playing up love, with the tight dress and the low-cut neckline, revealing more than just a little bit of her...well, I'm not too sure ample is quite descriptive enough a term to cover her bosom. Black for mourning, the dress nonetheless floated over her shapely hips and wafted about her delicately shod feet. What made it worse was trying to figure out just where she was hiding the weapon. And, yes, she was most definitely hiding a weapon somewhere in that revealing little ensemble of hers.

"Freya," I said, smiling what I hoped was a charming smile and not a frightened grimace. Crossing my arms, I leaned up against the nearest wall, attempting nonchalance and my old, devil-may-care attitude. It's what she expected from me, after all, and I didn't want everyone here to know how much I'd changed over the years. They still thought I was at the mercy of my own chaotic whims. Let them think that, and act accordingly.

I was not entirely convinced the Greeks were behind the murder, despite where the evidence had so far led.

"Loki," she whispered, slinking up to me like a cat, all graceful limbs and sensual grace. I did not trust it. "It is a pleasure to see you here. I was so happy to hear that Odin has decided your innocence. I, for one, have not forgotten how you saved me from a horrific fate at least twice. Marriage to a giant or a goblin is not quite the idea I had in mind for my future..."

"Ah, yes," I replied. "Two of my more ingenious plans. I am pleased that I was able to help you."

Freya smiled, her full flips parting slowly to reveal perfect teeth. "I admit," she purred, stepping up close enough to me that she could whisper into my ear. This made me vastly uncomfortable, because it meant that I did not have access to my gun. I did not for a moment believe that there were good intentions to Freya's movements. A hold-over from my time as a god of lies, perhaps, but I very rarely trust anyone. Especially not when I know for a fact that they do not like me. "That I have loved you for a long time, Loki. For your efforts in protecting me. In fact, I've been loving you just a little too long to hold back anymore. I can't stop now, Loki. In fact, I believe there is only one recourse for this passion, this burning within me..."

I felt the knife press into me, then. It parted my flesh like scissors cutting paper, until it was hilt deep in my stomach. For a few moments, the only thing I could focus on was the cruel victory flashing on her face. And then, the pain crashed into me.

It was nothing like the burning pain of the snake, or the bone deep ache of being near an Angel, but it still bloody well hurt to have a knife in my stomach. And the feel of blood pouring forth from the wound, hot and viscous, was something I never thought I'd be forced to bear. With every second, I could feel myself getting weaker, every heart beat dragging me closer and closer to darkness and death. I reached for my gun, but could only wave ineffectually at the air as my knees gave out on me.

A hand grabbed my upper arm. A hand that burned like the dickens, from which a bright light glowed and a bone deep ache flowed. I hissed as the pain reached my stomach, feeling the knife pushing its way out of my flesh, the sinews and cells knitting themselves back together within seconds. "Aren't you supposed to get here before they stab me?"

Gabriel grinned, but it was not a friendly, or a pleasant, things to look at. "I had to make sure her intent was truly to kill and not simply to wound, Loki. Otherwise, I would have been here much earlier."

Freya had backed away, eyes wide with fear fighting with defiance. Around the three of us, all was still, every eye in the room on myself and the Archangel of God. I knew they were all in as much pain as I, but very few of them showed it, such was their shock at Gabriel's appearance. Even Heimdall was not immune, though his helm could not quite hide the envy shining so brightly from his eyes. "You think you can just come in here, Angel? You think you can violate our sacred places, our memorial services, our homes?!" Freya appeared to have come unhinged, if the shriek in her voice was any indication.

Gabriel simply turned to her, his beautiful face cold and hard, his grey eyes cruel. "Yes. This entity, called Loki, is in our employ. He belongs to us and, thus, is entitled to our protection. You violate Christ's law in even attempting to kill him, Freya War Goddess. Be glad that I am not Michael, who would have slain you where you stand."

The goddess, hair coming free from its intricate knot and dark eyes fevered, choked out a bitter laugh. "I would like to see you try, Angel. I am Freya, goddess of Love and of War. And I am among my kind."

"Will your kind stand against one of God's Host?" Gabriel let me go then, resting his hand instead upon the hilt of his sword. His silver armor covered his entire body, only his head free of ornamentation, as if daring someone to attack him. No Angel wears a helm. They prefer to see their enemy, and sacrifice head protection to do so. Perhaps they don't need it. They have flaming swords, after all.

"We demand our freedom, Angel! We are gods, not squirming, mewling humans! We demand our proper rank and respect be returned to us, as is due to all our kind." Freya screamed, pulling another knife from somewhere (I have no idea where) within her dress, and charging toward both myself and Gabriel.

Now, I do admit that I had hidden behind Gabriel within seconds of his arrival. I am not someone to throw myself into danger. It's that self-preservation instinct that prevents me from doing so, I'll admit, but since Gabriel was involved, I saw no reason to do aught but hide. I am not ashamed of it, like so many others would be. He was far more powerful than I, and Freya seemed to have completely unhinged.

Around us, everyone stood stock still, in complete shock. I'll admit, I did see a few faces that were not quite so outraged, some people who seemed to agree with Freya, and even nodded in support. The barest of nods, mind, since everyone was standing stock still, as previously mentioned. Only Freya, with a grace born of her frenzy, and Gabriel, with grim efficiency, seemed to move, she charging and he moving to unsheathe his weapon. It had not lit itself yet, waiting for a command from its master, and I knew for a certainty that Gabriel would not give that command.

He was far too kind for that.

A hand interposed itself between Gabriel and Freya, and then Odin was there, what remained of his power sparking around him like a great storm. "Freya, cease!"

"What? You would have us be as slaves to the Angels, Allfather? Have you lost everything that made you what you are? First you believe the Lie-smith to be innocent of Baldur's death, and now this!"

Gabriel sheathed his sword. "Innocent or not, War Goddess, the attempted murder of one of your kind is a crime in the eyes of Christ. Be glad Odin Allfather stopped you before you could attack me. You are an instant away from oblivion, Freya."

"Freya," Odin rumbled. "You more than anyone know I value my life above all other things. If living under Christ's law is what keeps me alive, I will live under Christ's law. There is no choice for us. There is no living free of Angelic dominion. We either live this way or we die."

"I would rather cease to exist than be inferior to anyone!" Freya screamed. "No life is worth subjugation!"

Odin laughed. "You say that because you have the luxury of existing, Freya. Now shut up and remove yourself from my presence before I remove you. You have sullied my son's memorial, you stupid woman! And you have brought the wrath of an Angel upon yourself this day. Be glad it was the merciful one that arrived. If Michael had come, we would all be dead for your idiocy!"

"Better to die than to live in subjugation!" Freya screamed again, but not Heimdall had come up behind her, grabbing her arms and leading her from the room. Everyone watched them, their eyes and then their heads turning as they passed before them. Freya screamed all the while, struggling to pull herself from Heimdall's iron grasp. Eventually, they stepped into the elevator and her voice was cut off by the closing doors. Then, just as slowly, everyone turned back to watch Gabriel, Odin, and I.

"Apologies, boys," Odin whispered. "I imagine that you will be wanting to take your leave now?"

Gabriel nodded, and I saw that he had pulled back much of his armor now that Freya was gone. "I will take Loki through the Heavenly plane. For what it is worth, Allfather, I do not believe Loki is guilty of the crime. I believe yon War Goddess is far more culpable, though she did not wield the weapon."

"Do you know who killed my son?"

Gabriel smiled. "I am under orders to remain out of this, Allfather. My presence is only permitted because Freya made an attempt on Loki's life. I imagine, though, that your one-time blood brother is far closer to solving this than even he can know. Now, I trust that this will not become a habit among the Norse?"

Odin shook his head. "No. Not all of us are unaware of your Lord's great gift, Angel. It shall not happen again."

"Oh, that's good!" I interjected. "I don't particularly liked being stabbed."

Gabriel grasped hold of me again, and I winced at the pain. It was always worse when he touched me. And yet I yearned for that touch. Crazy, hunh? I barely had time to jerk out a wave before the world disappeared around me and Gabriel and I were once again alone in my apartment. As I watched, he divested himself of his Angelic raiment, the glow disappearing all at once to reveal human flesh. "Well," he said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah. It hurt, but I am good."

Gabriel nodded. "Good. Glad to here it. Now, I've found out some very important things. Things that are going to make your life very, very interesting. Or just confirm what you already thought. I've a feeling you're ten steps ahead of the rest of us, all things considered. Now, get me some wine...I've got stuff to tell you."
© Copyright 2012 Professor Q (UN: rainangel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Professor Q has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751642