*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751736-More-Specificity-on-Templating
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#751736 added April 26, 2012 at 8:47am
Restrictions: None
More Specificity on Templating
More Specificity on Templating

Templating

Templating a novel might be something somebody has written volumes on, however if there has been a history of this technique I am not aware of it. So I will attempt to explain it like someone who is reinventing the wheel. Better than try and explain it I will demonstrate how it is done. I will use Game of Thrones, chapter 1, “Bran” as an example.

There were seven key writing components I noted in the chapter. I have abridged the chapter copying down enough to show an example of what I am talking about. Then I counted roughly the total number of words in the chapter. Using the place holders cited below I then block counted the words in each category. This showed me a percentage of the words that were dedicated to each of the seven components. Keeping the percentage in mind I would seek to have a percentage in my first chapter, roughly equal to what I have identified in the template.

There were roughly 3,250 words in the chapter.

1. Backstory: 200 words 6%
2. Character Development: 400 words 12%
3. Scene Setting: 400 words 12%
4. Exposition that moves the story: 1000 words 31%
5. Dialogue that moves the story: 1150 words 35%
6. Foreshadowing: 50 Words 2%
7. Symbolism: 50 Words 2%

Backstory: He remembered the hearth tales…the Wildlings were cruel men…slavers and slayers and thieves. They consorted with giants and ghouls and stole girl children and drank blood from horns. Their women lay with the “Others” in the long winter nights and birthed half human children.

Character Development: It was the seventh year of Bran’s life. Brans father sat solemnly on his horse, long brown hair straining in the wind. His closely trimmed beard shot with white. He looked older than 35 years. He had grim cast to his grey eyes. He had taken off Father’s face, Bran thought, and donned the face of Lord Stark of Winterfell. Bran’s bastard half-brother, Jon Snow moved closer. He was of an age with Robb but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular…dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick, where his half-brother was strong and fast.

Scene Setting: It was the ninth year of summer. The morning had dawned cold….set forth to see a man beheaded…Bran rode with them.. the man was taken at a small Holdfast…. He had lost both ears to frostbite…He was dressed all in black as the Night Watch. The breath of man and horse mingled…Over their heads flew the banner of the Starks of Winterfell.

Exposition that moves the story: Two men dragged the ragged man to the ironwood stump and his ward Theon Grayjoy brought forth the sword “Ice.” It was wide as a man’s hand and taller than Robb. The blade held an edge like Valyrian steel. The head bounced off a root and rolled…

His father rode up to him.

Half buried in the blood-stained snow a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed on its shaggy grey fur and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman’s perfume. Bran glimpsed ‘blind eyes crawling with maggots and a wide mouth filled with yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony and twice the size of the largest hound in his father’s kennel.

Bran saw his father’s eyes change, saw the other men exchange glances. He loved Jon with all his heart at that moment. Even at seven, Bran understood what his brother had done. The count had come right only because Jon omitted himself. He had included the girls, included even Rickon, the baby, but not the bastard who bore the sur-name Snow, the name that custom decreed be given to all those in the north unlucky enough to be born with no name of his own.

He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge. They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel. A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling. His fur was white where the others were grey. His eyes were as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning.

Dialogue that moves the story : “ In the name of….I sentence you to die.” “Keep the pony well in hand.’ “Don’t look away.” ”The deserter died bravely.” “You did well.” “He had courage at the least.” “No, it was not courage…this one was dead of fear.” ”The others take his eyes…he died well…race you to the bridge.”

Are you well Bran?” ”Robb says the man died bravely but Jon says he was afraid.” “What do you think?” “Can a man still be brave and be afraid?” “That is the only time a man can be brave,” his father said. “Do you understand why I did it?” “He was a Wielding” Bran said, “They carry off women and sell them to the others.” “Old Nan has been telling your stories…the man was an oath-breaker, a deserter from the Night’s Watch. No man is more dangerous. The deserter knows his life is forfeit if taken so he will not flinch from any crime no matter how vile… but you mistake me. The question is not that the man had to die but why I had to be the executioner.” “King Robert has a headsman.” He does….as the Targaryen Kings before him…yet our way is the older way. The blood of the first men still flows in the veins of the Starks and we hold the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man’s life you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words…and if you cannot bear to do that then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.” “One day Bran you will be Robb’s banner man, holding a keep of your own for your brother and king…when the day comes you may take no pleasure in it but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind executioners soon forgets what death is.”

“Father, Bran come quickly…see what Robb has found” “She can’t hurt you she’s dead” “What in the seven Hells is it?” “That’s a direwolf, they grow larger than the other kind.” “There’s not been a direwolf sighted south of the wall in 200 years.” “No! Bran cried out fiercely, it’s mine.” “You have five true-born children,” Jon said, “Three sons and two daughters. The direwolf is the sigil of your house. Your children were meant to have these pups, My Lord.” “You want no pup for yourself Jon?” “The direwolf graces the banners of the House Stark,” Jon pointed out, “I am no Stark.” “What is it?” “Can’t you hear it father?”

Foreshadowing: “he must have crawled away from the others.” “Or been driven away.” their father said. Jon Snow said, “This one belongs to me.

Symbolism: Bran thought it curious that this pup alone had opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751736-More-Specificity-on-Templating