*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752003-The-Spring-Term-is-upon-us
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#752003 added April 30, 2012 at 9:47am
Restrictions: None
The Spring Term is upon us
The New Term is upon us

On 7 May registration will begin for the Spring Term at New Horizon’s Academy. I will be teaching again the Exploratory Writing Workshop and recommend that anyone interested sign up early as the classes fill fast.

Today I must mail my play Andromache for consideration in a contest I am entering. I reread it this weekend and really liked the way it turned out after an extensive reediting. I will try and not get my hopes up, because while it has been a strong finisher in the past it never made the cut for a stage production. I wish I had time to teach both the One Act Play and the Exploratory Writing Workshop. Anyone out there who feels they qualify and wants to sign on as my assistant, (to test the waters) needs to make their feelings known to the school administrators. We need a drama or a screen writing course of some sort.

My weight keeps fluctuating around the 185 threshold. I am exercising and regulating my food. My breakfast is small, my lunch is normal and my supper is a snack. However, I am not deterred and continue to struggle as I did to quit smoking. While success is not happening the way I would like it to I continue determined to succeed. The weight did not magically appear and it isn’t going to shed without a fight. It will come off the same way it went on.

We watched Game of Thrones last night on HBO and it is awesome. The more I see it the better I like it. It was written by George Martin and the approach he has used is to write it in a way that takes five novels which he integrates into a single story. As a consequence there is no real central character for the overall story but rather one for the five subsets. Each of these is masterfully written and keeps the audience on the edge of their seats. More than just being fun to watch is seeing the mechanics of five stories being told as one. If you can’t get HBO think about getting the reruns of the first season. I can’t speak highly enough about them. Reading the chapters of the book, concurrent with seeing them on TV is also a rewarding experience. It has led to “Templating” a technique described on previous blogs and it brings to life the components of good story telling.

The spring term has crept up and I will be working this week at getting my class ready. There probably won’t be quite the long interlude between sign-up and the class start day that we had last time. In the time there is I am thinking about introducing “Templating” in the Welcome letter and letting the students think about it in that interlude. That way I don’t have to muck around with too much change in the course syllabus.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752003-The-Spring-Term-is-upon-us