*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753948-Another-Day-on-the-Farm-2
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#753948 added June 1, 2012 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Another Day on the Farm 2
Another day on the Farm

Today Linda and I worked in the yard and after lunch we went shopping. It was a rather uneventful day although we had some good conversation. Sometimes she insists I make conversation and I try and think up some interesting topics to talk about. However, despite my best intentions the lapses creep in and I find my mind drifting to other things… like my class, my hobbies and the books I have been reading.

If I don’t talk she turns on talk radio and listening to that never fails to get my blood pressure to climb a couple of points.

Three of my students failed to meet the Thursday deadline for their vignettes. This tells me either they are bored, have other priorities or are in over their heads with the assignment. It is an advanced class and every effort is made to warn them of the commitment. Still I hate to see them fall behind because the course builds upon the earlier lessons. Still, if past students managed it then so can the current crop.

Last year we had some landscaping done and the contractor brought in a load of great topsoil. He filled the raised beds with this dirt and in most planted flowers. However there were some where the flowers died and I replanted them with Stella-Doros and strawberries. Actually I only had four strawberry plants but they loved the soil and started taking everything over. The winter had little effect on them and this spring they took off where they left off in the fall. They were full of blossoms and to make a long story short we have a bumper crop right now. These are huge red ones with the most wonderful flavor you can imagine. We had them on some vanilla ice cream (There goes the diet) and they were mouth watering.

Tomorrow at the RC flying club there is an event called an “Electric Fly.” For those of you that might not know, in recent years electric motors have risen in favor with the model airplane crowd. They can do about anything a gas engine can do and have plenty of advantages. They are quiet and they don’t sputter, just when you need the power most. So our club is having a weekend where only electric powered airplanes are to be flown. I don’t have an airworthy electric model right now but Linda and I will be going to the flying field anyway. She is a good sport and even though she isn’t interested, tags along on my many adventures.

Once in a blue moon the ink runs out on the printer and it is always an adventure remembering how to replace the cartridge. Well, I am happy to report that we accomplished that task with little to no frustration. Earlier today the folding doors to the wash room fell and Linda with it. Luckily she wasn’t injured although she might be feeling it in the morning. I will be putting Lock-Tite on the screw that came loose.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/753948-Another-Day-on-the-Farm-2