*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754579-The-Hero
by Amay
Rated: ASR · Book · Other · #1872712
A nice place to collect my flash fiction entries.
#754579 added June 10, 2012 at 8:29pm
Restrictions: None
The Hero
Daily Flash Entry

Prompt for 7/6: Write a story that includes the words: cage, curse, flame



The Hero

Snickers sniffed the air. Everyone in the house was asleep. This wasn’t good. He had to get the family out. He started scratching on the girls’ room door. Jennifer rolled over and yelled, “Stop, Snickers,” and went back to sleep. He barked, scratched at the door, ran around in circles. Snickers skidded down the hall to the top of the stairs, the scent was even stronger. He zoomed down the hall bypassing the girls’ room. This time he went straight to Mom.

He leaped through the doorway. He wasn’t thinking about all the times he’d missed and ended up hanging on the edge of the bed with his hind legs clawing to get a toehold. He had to make it this time. Through the air he soared, across the floor, over the edge of the bed, and right onto Katie’s stomach.

“What the…. Snickers! What are you doing?” Katie sat up with a start. She had no idea what had brought her pooch into the room. It only took seconds before she realized there was a fire somewhere in the house.

The glow from the flames eerily illuminated the hall. Katie grabbed Snickers and dashed to the girls’ room. She shook Sam, yelling at Jennifer to get up. Katie opened the window and rolled out the ladder. Jennifer grabbed Jake’s cage and headed out the window. Sam was next, and then Katie carried Snickers with her. The girls were already banging on the neighbors door when Katie caught up.

They all sat on the neighbors’ front porch as they watched their home become engulfed in flames. This was the third home they had watch go up in flames in the last three years. Katie was beginning to think they were cursed. What were they going to do now?

kph

July 6, 2010

Word Count: 298
© Copyright 2012 Amay (UN: amay5prm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754579-The-Hero