*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/768512-Writing-Quickie--A-Mother-and-Daughter-Argument
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1634630
Brief writing exercises and thoughts on writing. Maybe the occasional personal musing.
#768512 added December 15, 2012 at 6:45pm
Restrictions: None
Writing Quickie: A Mother and Daughter Argument

She stood before the mirror in her gown. A servant ran a stiff brush through her thick brown curls. Occasionally, she’d wince as the servant would snag the brush in a tangle. At those moments, she would breathe deeply and think of her favorite poem, hoping her hair would be sorted out soon enough. She caught a glimpse of her mother’s reflection. “It shouldn’t be much longer, Mother. Melanie is almost done.”

The older woman sighed and glided across the room. “I should hope not. Though, I do love how beautiful your curls look when they’re properly brushed.”

She snorted. “You can have my curls. I would still much prefer to keep my hair shorter and free of their tangles.”

“That style was fine when you were a child, Angelique. But now that you are coming into an adulthood, you need to present yourself as is appropriate for a woman of minor nobility.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yes, heaven forbid the daughter of the duke of some forgotten plot of land not dress as if she was the princess of the whole realms.”

“Not this argument again, my dear. Your position may seem small to you, but presenting yourself like this is a chance for you to lift yourself to higher status by catching the eyes of a Duke, Lord, or Prince of more importance.”

She snorted and jerked her head, causing Melanie to accidentally tug on her hair. She grimaced at the sudden pain. “I’m sorry m’lady,” the servant said, horrified.

“It’s not our fault, Melanie,” Angelique assured her. “You’re just doing the job you have been set to by my ambitious mother. In reality, she probably wishes that you were her daughter, as you listen to her orders without question.”

Her mother clicked her tongue. “Such insubordination. And yes, I do have ambitions. Do you blame me? My ambitions have kept this family better fed on more than one occasion.”

“Yes Mother, I know that. And I do appreciate it. But, I do not share your ambition, at least not when it comes to climbing the royal ladder.”


JarredH

Give me pen and paper and I shall create entire worlds and fill them with adventures.

© Copyright 2012 JarredH (UN: seithman at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JarredH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/768512-Writing-Quickie--A-Mother-and-Daughter-Argument