*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771539-January-14-2013
by OOT™
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1909913
A place to keep my personal thoughts.
#771539 added January 14, 2013 at 2:43am
Restrictions: None
January 14, 2013
"30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS Prompt for January 14th, 2013: Persuade me why you appreciate verbal arguments or disagreements.
I'm going to approach this one from a legal standpoint. I appreciate verbal arguments, because they are much more effective that written arguments. By arguing verbally, there is less room for misinterpretation as you are able to see and hear your opposition. A simple typographical error could render an entire argument moot. By having the ability to argue in person, there is less chance that one will say something that could be interpreted in a number of ways. If that person does so, there will be an immediate opportunity to clarify.

Arguing in person can also serve as as advantage against an opponent. The opponent will not have a chance to reflect upon what you have said and prepare a carefully drafted response. He or she will be "on the spot" and required to immediately address your concerns. While this is true in your case as well, adequate preparation for the confrontation will ensure that you have a sound argument and can easily and intelligently vocalize it.

An oral argument will also allow you to read the opponent's body language. If your opponent seems firm in his or her position but his or her body language indicates otherwise, you become more confident that you can win the argument. Written arguments allow no room for interpretation. Oral arguments also allow you to assess the opponent's emotions. This will help you assess whether he or she is arguing based upon logic or simply based upon emotion. This will give you an advantage and allow you to change your method of arguing if appropriate.

I believe oral arguments are much more effective that written ones.


"Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum Prompt: What is your worst quality as a human? Describe it in detail, and why you think it's bad.
I would say my worst quality is my extreme impatience. I have a bit of a bad temper, but I can control it. I also tend to worry a lot, but I can control that as well. As to my impatience, however, I don't have much control over it.

For instance, I take a final, and I start checking for my grade the next day. Since it often takes weeks for the grades to post, my desire to check every 15 minutes frustrates even me, but I can't force myself to give it a rest. If someone is supposed to call me back (especially in relation to settling a case at work), I wait a little too anxiously for the phone call. If it doesn't come within an hour, I start getting antsy.

If I order something online, I'm looking for it in the mail within a few days. I can't stand to drive behind slow moving vehicles. I get so frustrated when forced to stand in a long line.

This is bad in so many ways. Besides the obvious, I'll (hopefully) be an attorney within a few months. I don't want to risk settling a case for less than I could have gotten if I had been more patient. I don't want to end up with high blood pressure because of frustration and worry resulting from my impatience. And I don't want to miss out on all of the wonderful things life has to offer because I'm too worried about what I want to happen to notice the good things that are happening all around me.

© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (UN: outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
OOT™ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771539-January-14-2013