*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773163-January-30-2013
by OOT™
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1909913
A place to keep my personal thoughts.
#773163 added January 30, 2013 at 5:00am
Restrictions: None
January 30, 2013
Still accepting package and GP donations for:

FORUM
Hearts Afire Auction  (E)
Auction Closed! Please pay for packages.
#1915277 by OOT™


"30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS Prompt for January 29th, 2013:
Teach me a LESSON in two parts. The rules are simple: this is an open blog prompt where you can blog about any life experience you desire. The kicker is that it has to be in TWO parts (cliffhangers are recommended and encouraged - make me want to read more!) Open with a problem, take me through your experience dealing with said problem, and end with the lesson you learned (however philosophical or ordinary it may be).

After I hit the truck, for a moment, I didn't realize what had happened. I guess I was in shock. When I finally regained my wits, the first thing I noticed was a smell akin to firecrackers that have gone off. My first thought was that the car could explode and that I needed to get out of it. Later, I realized that it was the smell from the airbags deploying.

I suffered a broken left hand from the accident and had to have a plate and screws wrapped around by third metacarpal. So one valuable lesson learned: if you realize you are about to have a head-on collision, do not brace your hand on the steering wheel. Those darn airbags hurt.

The most important thing I learned, though, is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If I would have been able to trade in the Escort, I would have been without a vehicle for several months. I wasn't at fault in the collision, but it took me months to get my $1,000 down payment back from the at-fault driver's insurance company. During that time, and for several years thereafter, I was able to drive the faithful little Escort. Sure, it wasn't as flashy as a brand new Mustang, but it got great gas mileage, was a much cheaper ride and I was very glad to have it.


© Copyright 2013 OOT™ (UN: outoftouch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
OOT™ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773163-January-30-2013