*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773997-A-Time-for-Reform
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#773997 added February 6, 2013 at 8:54pm
Restrictions: None
A Time for Reform
A time for Reform

I saw a documentary on TV about deaf boys both in the United States and Europe who were sexually abused by pedophile priests. It was a sad commentary on an institution (Catholic Church) that has done so much to ease the suffering of humanity.

The Documentary showed how the Church, following a policy of ignoring, denying, covering up and finally casting doubt and blame on the victims, has tried to escape admitting the scope of the pedophile problem, not to mention female molestation and the homosexuality issue.

The need for a celibate priesthood has long been a contentious dogma for Catholics. The problems it creates have gained momentum over time building to a pressure that periodically explodes. The Reformation in Northern Europe, The Inquisition in Spain and the current crisis show what happens when believers and innocent clergy can no longer bear the weight of hypocrisy and cover-up. A Priest is supposed to nurture the innocent and not corrupt them. This is an ongoing problem that the church simply can’t seem to solve and the reason is because it is more widespread than anyone is willing to admit as well as deeply rooted in the culture. The abuses are so rampant that no one raised in the system, is unscathed and willing to suffer the remediation.

There is evidence that suggests Christ had a wife. This is more than the result of forces promoting a greater equality for women or sensational novels such as Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code. In both new discoveries and a closer look at old scripture, a bright light is being brought to little known manuscripts and the underlying meaning of historical texts.

While Jesus is said to have challenged his disciples to be celibate, he also left the door open saying that if they couldn’t comply, it was better to marry than live in sin.

It was the Catholic Church that took the challenge from being a laudable goal to a mandatory requirement. In the times since we see the unanticipated results more clearly. By mandating celibacy the side effects have evidenced themselves and the Catholic Church is unable to deal with the sordid consequences.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/773997-A-Time-for-Reform