*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/776082-MOJO
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#776082 added February 26, 2013 at 10:58am
Restrictions: None
MOJO
MOJO

My wife, Linda, and I rent a display case at a local antique mall. Today we were in there paying the monthly rent and looking around at some of the other vendors. A dealer, next to us has some really nice things and I was checking out her jewelry.

I saw this abalone ring for $15. It fit on my pinky and I told Linda I was going to get it. She told me it was an old Hippy knock-off and a waste of money. I’ll show her I’m somebody who can think for himself!” I decided.

In the car ride coming home she apologized. (Well, sort of---.)

“I’m really sorry,” she told me. “The ring wasn’t that expensive and I know we can afford it, but I just have to tell you--- when you dropped the twenty on the counter, I felt like watching someone flush the toilet. What ever possessed you?--- Normally you have such good taste. “

“Sweetheart, I know you think I bought it out of spite but I really like it. The abalone has an iridescent glow that reminds me of a meteorite fragment--- like the one that hit Russia last week.”

“You’re making fun of me,” she replied , “I hate it when you do that. METEORITE FRAGMENT! Get real and quit acting like a jerk.”

“Plus its sterling silver,” I continued. "Look here. Inside the band, it says 925."

“Whoppie! A dollar’s worth of silver in a fifteen dollar ring. Go to any flea market and you’ll see display cases full of that junk."

“Well, I liked it, Sweetums, and some mysterious force compelled me to buy it.”

“You’re impulsive, that’s what you are and whenever I say don’t buy something, you start acting like some all knowing BIG- SHOT.” Your Dad had the big-shot gene, and so do you.”

“That’s not true darling, it was a muse, whispering in my ear.”

“A muse?”

“Yeah, you know, an inexplicable intuitive voice, calling out from the Twilight Zone.”

“You're such a Dork!”

“Do you think this ring might have a special MOJO?”

“Oh I get it. Instead of buyers remorse you want to go purchase a lottery ticket.”

“Now that you mention it---.”

“OK, we need some cranberry jelly. We’ll get a power ball at the grocery store.”

When we got home I went out to the mailbox. I didn’t pay much attention to the mail and laid it on the dining room table. Then I went outside to put wood in the outdoor wood stove. When I returned inside Linda was waiting, eyes wide as saucers. She was holding up an envelope with a look of dismay. It was an unexpected Insurance check for $586.07.


© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/776082-MOJO