*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778946-Episode-2-Defining-the-Problem
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#778946 added April 1, 2013 at 5:07pm
Restrictions: None
Episode 2: Defining the Problem
Defining the Problem

The genesis for the idea came one morning as he talked with his Vizier. The Sage was the father of Scheherazade who had become the King's favorite wife. The Sultan at the time was 55 years old and his advisor had the audacity to bring up a very sore subject.

"Your Magnificance needs to produce an heir before time runs out."

"Tell your daughter," the King replied, "I futter her often enough... Had our hopes up, she did, and what was it...DRAT! Another daughter. What am I to do?"

"Maybe if, the morning after, you quite beheading your wives, then one might give you a son."

"Son, my ass!" replied Shahryar. "Even before Esmeralda betrayed me, and I rashly implemented the current policy, I'd only sired females. It's a cruel joke played on me by the Gods. What am I to do?"

"Think on it Great King, for in all the land nobody has a speck of the wisdom you dispense so freely and never seem to miss. "

"Table the obvious, forget the platitudes and address the question!"

" Alas... Then, I fear you might be right. Some men are cursed by destiny to only sire females... why Sultan Awshut, had thirty-four daughters and not a single son."

"Don't remind me," said Shahryar in disgust... "Think of what that does to my reputation. My subjects snicker and make jokes that my spirit is effete."

"My counsel is to give the matter some thought and sleep on it. I can't imagine the answer but if anyone can figure it out it will be you."

So the sultan slept on the matter and that night in a dream, came up with the germ of an idea. The next morning he resumed the conversation with his wazir.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778946-Episode-2-Defining-the-Problem