*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779424-Episode-5--Scheherazade
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#779424 added April 1, 2013 at 7:24pm
Restrictions: None
Episode 5: Scheherazade
Scheherazade


That night the King sat propped up in bed alongside Dunazad while Scheherazade sat cross-legged, facing them. Scheherazade was the Sultan’s First Wife and had survived the fate of other wives by telling such captivating stories that the king could not bear parting with her. While not particularly attractive, Scheherazade had been from the beginning a compelling force in Shahrayar’s life and as time went on he fell deeper and deeper into love. He had so hoped that she would bear him a son but alas, it came as no real surprise when she delivered a daughter.

The king was thinking deeply about his discussion with the Vizier. They had been examining a possible connection between the moons cycle and the menstrual cycle of a woman. At length he withdrew from his thoughts, sighed and addressed his wife.

“Does it frustrate you that, as an older man, I can no longer perform my husbandly duty with the same frequency as a younger?"

“You made me pregnant, Master. I pray our next will be a son."

"You waste your time praying. The Gods are not cooperating."

"Do not be so sure oh great King."

“Would that I could conjure a son out of my sleeve, as I often do with rabbits.” It was an innocent comment spoken in quiet mirth. Yet the words were hardly said when a tremor resonated through his mind making him shake his head back and forth. As he chased it away, the thread fled downward along his spine until it entered his feet, leaving a tingle in every toe.

“Tell me Dunazad,” he asked, squeezing her breast, “is the appearance of truth the same as its embodiment?”

“Of course not,” she answered. “You as a magician should know that better than anyone.”

“You speak truly. Appearance is but the bald shadow of truth.”

“Is there a premise you desire for tonight's tale or should I choose something of my own volition?” Inquired Scheherazade patiently.

“Ah a premise! Yes indeed. I like the ring of that. Tell me a tale of how wisdom leads to solving a perplexing problem.”

Scheherazade thought for a moment and began relating the tale of Archimedes and the Golden Crown.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779424-Episode-5--Scheherazade