*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779876-Day-23-Prompt-2---The-Tiger
by Jordi
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1924437
Short stories from images
#779876 added April 6, 2013 at 6:45pm
Restrictions: None
Day 23 Prompt 2 - The Tiger
         The cabin sat sheltered by the thick cloak of trees that skirted the edge of the valley floor. A small oil lamp glowed in a window casting a gentle glow against the gloom of the falling dusk. Tendrils of smoke arose from the lone chimney, lazily curling up into the sky.
         Inside the cabin, six men sat around a rustic table. Plates with the remnants of a stew sat before them as they drank from battered mugs. A companionable silence hung around them as they finished off their simple meal.
         “Kolnar was spotted in the northern valley yesterday,” Tarn said as he placed his mug on the scratched table. “It’s believed he is heading for town and the royal family.”
         “We cannot let him get to the princess. Should he reach her then we are lost,” Rand looked around the table at his companions. “He possesses great magic which would be fatal against her.”
         “His magic grows daily with every killing he does. If he gets the amulet, I fear that our magic will not be strong enough to defeat him.”
         “We certainly cannot defeat him standing alone at this time,” Leon added, his amber eyes troubled. “My scout witnessed Kolnar in the city last week, when he went after Gregor. He said that he seemed unstoppable even then.”
         “With each one of us he kills he grows stronger.” Rand leant back in his chair, his face troubled. “What does the Old Man say, Gabe?”
         “Not a great deal, I’m afraid. The one chance we have is one I think you will not want to take.” Gabe looked across the table at Rand, his face impassive as he waited for his reaction. He did not have long to wait.
         “No. We are not going there. We deal with this problem on our own, just as we’ve dealt with everything else.” Rand’s voice was resolute, his jaw firm as anger sparked in his grey eyes.
         “The Old Man said that it was our only chance.”
         “I don’t care if it’s our last chance, I am not contacting him.”
         “You may not need to,” Cole commented from his position by the front window where he had been looking outside.
         “What --?” Rand stood up and crossed the room to see what Cole was looking at. Rage ripped through him as he spun around and stared at Gabe. “Just what the hell have you done?” he stormed, his wolf flashing in his eyes.
         “What you should have done the moment Kolnar went rogue.” Gabe stood up and went to stand before Rand. “You are a great leader, Rand, but you let your anger cloud your mind when it comes to him. You and I both know that we need him.”
         “He’s coming across the pasture,” Cole said.
         The two men looked out of the window to watch as the magnificent tiger strode purposefully across the snow covered field. Even though the snow was deep it did not hinder his movement towards the cabin. His golden eyes stared straight at the cabin, glinting like hard rocks of amber in the setting sun.
         With a lithe stride he leapt onto the wide porch where he paused for a moment, scenting the air around him. Small chuffing noises slipped out of his mouth as he looked around before a flash of light temporarily blinded the vision of those watching.
         As the brilliant colours faded from his eyes, Rand watched as the door opened to reveal a tall, golden haired stranger with eyes of amber that stared back at him, filled with matching anger and mistrust.
         “Hello, Soren,” Rand greeted in a soft voice. “It’s been a long time.”
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779876-Day-23-Prompt-2---The-Tiger