*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780063-Day-25-Prompt-2---Prom-Night
by Jordi
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1924437
Short stories from images
#780063 added April 8, 2013 at 6:28pm
Restrictions: None
Day 25 Prompt 2 - Prom Night
         “Honey, I’m home.”
         Footsteps sounded along the hallway before the lounge door was pushed open and her father entered the room.
         “Hi, Daddy,” she greeted, a slight smile on her face as she looked up from the magazine she was reading. “Good day?”
         “Busy one. Ferrying teens around town collecting their prom outfits. It was like crazy season.” He looked down at her, noting the faded jeans and cute kitten t-shirt she was wearing. “Isn’t it your prom tonight?”
         “Yeah,” she looked down at the magazine, careful to avoid eye contact with her father.
         “Shouldn’t you be getting ready?” Concerned, he came to stand by the sofa where she was stretched out.
         “I’m not going. I’m not in the mood for partying.” Restless under his scrutiny, she closed the magazine and stood up. “What do you fancy for dinner tonight? I fancy a chicken stir fry but we can have something else, if you like.” She was babbling, she knew that, but she didn’t want her father to dwell on the fact it was prom night tonight.
         “Katie, you don’t need to stay here with me. I’ll be perfectly alright if you want to go out with your friends.”
         “I know you will but I don’t feel like it.” She headed into the kitchen, praying he would accept what she had said and not press her further.
         “For weeks all you could talk about was the prom. You were so excited, planning your dress, your makeup, your shoes. It was all you could talk about. What made you change your mind?” He knew what the answer was but he needed her to voice it so that he could help her to move on.
         “It doesn’t feel right,” she replied, filling the kettle to make a brew before starting to rummage in the cupboards.
         “Katie …” he began, reaching out to touch her arm.
         “Dad, just leave it, please. I’m not going and that’s that.” She went to move by him but he stopped her by stepping in front of her, his hands gently resting on her shoulders. Knowing he would not let her go until she explained her reasons. “It doesn’t feel right, going to the prom after what happened.”
         “Oh, honey.” He cupped his hands over her shoulders and pulled her close, his hands automatically rubbing up and down her back as he had done when she was young.
         “Mum died last week. Her funeral is in three days. It would be wrong to go to the prom.” Her voice was muffled against his shirt, tears pricking at her eyes as she thought of her beautiful, valiant mother who had fought and lost the battle against the cancer that had ravaged her body.
         “Come with me.”
         Puzzled she followed her father out into the hallway and up the stairs to the master bedroom. It hurt to enter the large room. There was so much of her mother’s presence still there that Katie could imagine her mother walking into the room and questioning them about what they were up to. The walls were hung with candid family shots taken on holiday or at various family events. The dressing table still had her toiletries spread out across its surface, her robe draped across the chair.
         Her father went straight to the bank of wardrobes at the bottom of the room and opened the end one. A large white box sat on the top shelf which he pulled down and carried towards her. An envelope was tucked behind the pink ribbon tied around the box.
         “Take this,” he said, holding the box out to her. “Take it, read the letter and look in the box before making your decision. I’ll wait here for you.”
         Puzzled, she carried the box down the landing to her own room. Closing the door behind her, she placed the box on the bed and sank down next to it. The envelope had her name on it, written in her mother’s flowing script. Her hand trembled as she reached out and retrieved it from behind the ribbon. As she held it close to her, she could smell her mother’s favourite perfume, light and flowery and so reminiscent of spring days and walks in the park.
         From inside the envelope she pulled out a sheet of pastel notepaper and opened it up. Tears started to fall as she saw her mother’s handwriting covering the sheet. She swallowed the ball at the back of her throat and started to read.

         My dearest daughter,
         Your father and I were passing through the shopping centre last month when we passed a boutique filled with the most beautiful dresses from prom night. Normally, I would have walked straight past but I saw this dress and I knew straight away this was the dress for you. Your father laughed at me as I insisted on buying it there and then. He asked what would I do if it didn’t fit but I told him it would, so don’t prove me wrong.
         I know that the chances of my being there to see you in this dress are slim and I’m sad for that. However, I don’t want you to be sad on your special night. I want you to do your hair and your make-up and to put this dress on with a smile in your heart knowing that I will be looking down at you with a smile in my heart at how beautiful you are.
         I’m so proud of you, Katie. I know I’ve probably never told you that, or not told you enough times but it’s true. My one major regret is that I won’t be around to see you continue to grow into the beautiful and wonderful person I know you’re going to be.
         Wear the dress, sweetie. Wear it with pride and love and enjoy your prom. You only get one night like this one so take it.
         All of my love, and lots lots more.
         Mum

         Opening the box she gasped as she saw the dress lying there. White silk, covered with a fine lace, fitted bodice with a long, flowing skirt. The dress was sleeveless apart from ruched fabric strips for around her upper arms.
         The door opened and her father stuck his head around the door. He wore a sheepish smile as he studied the dress in her arms.
         “I couldn’t wait any longer,” he apologised. “It’s a beautiful dress.”
         Katie nodded, unable to trust her voice at this moment.
         “She wanted it for you as soon as she saw it. Never seen her so excited like she was that day. I know she wanted to be here to give the dress to you.”
         “I wish she was here, too, Dad.”
         “Are you going to do what she’s asked?”
         Katie looked down at the letter then at the dress. There was only one answer she could give. She looked up at her father and nodded, tears running down her face.
         “I’ll go and run you a bath. You’d better get a move on if you’re going to be ready in time.” With a smile he turned and headed towards the bathroom to start on running her bath. His heart felt lighter now he had given her that last present from her mother. He had worried she would reject it at first but now he could see that his wife had been correct to buy the dress when she’d seen it.

         “Okay, everyone. I want you all to smile for the camera before you head into the hotel.” The cameraman snapped off a few shots of the group of teenagers stood before the stretch limousine that had brought them to the hotel for their prom.
         Katie looked around at her friends and felt the smile on her face stretch even wider. Her father had run her a bath before disappearing downstairs and leaving her to a mad hour of bathing, doing her hair, her makeup before pulling on this special dress.
         She looked down at the dress, feeling a wave of love for her mother wash over her as she saw the fitted bodice and long flowing skirt. Her father had bought her an orchid which she wore with pride on her wrist. Both of them had so wanted her to have this special evening and she was so glad she had decided to come. It was the perfect way to honour her mother and a memory she would treasure forever.
© Copyright 2013 Jordi (UN: jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jordi has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/780063-Day-25-Prompt-2---Prom-Night