*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/781893-Getting-Started
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#781893 added May 4, 2013 at 10:07am
Restrictions: None
Getting Started
Well this morning the sun is out. This has been a long winter in Wisconsin and maybe now Spring is at hand.

I have been giving my Students advice on how to take the Workshop prior to its starting. One of the things I tell them is that in writing vignettes try and write a little every day. Sure take a day (and a night) and think a little about what the thread of the story will be but don’t obsess about it.

To begin with, think about having the right mix of components and maybe a general idea about a character and then just start pushing the pencil or pounding the keys. At this point in the creation process just come up with a first draft of something. It doesn’t have to be a publication quality effort to begin with.

Some of the best stuff I have written was done when I really didn’t feel ready to write and my notions of the characters and story line were fuzzy at best. Anyway I don’t think that writing is as much about me as about my muse. It never fails that once I get started I find her looking over my shoulder and offering ideas and advice. Once she shows up its like the light in the room comes on and the words begin to flow.

Sometimes my muse goes with me on walks with the dog and about halfway on the hike I need to return home to capture the fire-hose of ideas that begin filling my head. In the beginning I don’t try and force things but rather go with the flow. Once I have written a few vignettes and things begin to firm I write the outline and from there I begin to focus and don’t let my muse lead me off on far flung digressions any more. But to begin with simply write the first vignette, relax and enjoy yourself.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/781893-Getting-Started