*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784271
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1936958
This is Bek's background. THIS BOOK IS A SPOILER FOR "My Name Is . . ."!!!!!
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#784271 added November 1, 2013 at 1:49pm
Restrictions: None
Crole - Chapter In Progress
Chapter 1: "Before

Chapter 2 - Crole


         The ranger, Crole, peered from behind the tree at the foliage before him. He had been tracking this herd of deer with a visiting friend for the last time and a half of the sun’s passage. Now Aleetha, better known as the Lady of Thieves, crouched not far away, her skills in stealth understandably as good as Crole’s. Crole glanced over and signaled Aleetha to indicate the directions that each would go next. After she nodded, he glided around the tree toward his lunch.

         Crole soon had the herd in his sights. Being a ranger, he had a strong affinity with animals that made hunting uncomfortable at best. He had to be careful to not make friends with game animals, but he knew enough about them that he refused to weaken the herd by killing a deer in its prime. He knew that this herd had an elderly member that was about to be turned out for being too weak. He also knew that a single deer had little chance of a peaceful death. As little as Crole liked it, he needed the meat, and he was able to offer the deer a quick death.

         There! Crole saw his target near the right flank of the herd. He readied his stance and his bow, knowing that Aleetha was observing his methods from somewhere close by. From years of practice, Crole hardly needed to aim. His arrow shot forward to drop the deer; perfectly piercing it through the heart. The deer was dead before it hit the ground. The other deer scattered, not knowing that Crole wasn't after any of them. Crole sighed inaudibly; privately glad that he hadn't been close enough to pick up on the herd's fear. He hated hunting.

         Crole sighed again as he rose, this time due to his almost-ready-to-retire joints. He stretched as he walked toward the fallen deer. A few seconds behind him, Aleetha stepped into view with the cleaning kit. This was her part. Crole was teaching her some of his craft during her visit. Time wouldn't allow the development of the honed skills that Crole displayed, but she could gain the experience in the parts that were easily taught by repetition.

         The two chatted as Aleetha set up the kit. They had already discussed the methods involved; now she just needed practice. Aleetha was a couple cuts into the job when she noticed that Crole seemed tense. Glancing at him, she saw his worried eyes scanning the trees and sky.

         "No birds", Crole said to Alethea's unasked question. He motioned for her to continue with the deer as he went to explore. He shook his head as he walked away, annoyed that he was losing his touch. He had been too distracted by chatting with Aleetha to notice how long the woods had been silent. It couldn't have been more than a couple of minutes since everything seemed normal while he was stalking the deer.

=====================
NOTES AND BRAINSTORM
=====================

He sees Bek and Co - rescues Pyrin - side effect: parts of Pyrin die with the monsters, parts of the monsters stay with Pyrin
Pyrin stumbles back home - finds everything destroyed and everyone dead
Crole adopts Pyrin, trains him as a ranger
Pyrin has magic from Gar'tung - hates it because family and fiancé are dead
Crole learns about magic - convinces Pyrin to train
Pyrin has an accident that kills Crole - Pyrin's old name becomes dangerous
Bek runs away - start of My Name Is...
© Copyright 2013 BoyStar (UN: aqiccl135 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BoyStar has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784271