*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784401-On-the-Job
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#784401 added June 8, 2013 at 12:50am
Restrictions: None
On the Job
    Many employees are renters for the 8 hours or whatever length of time they are here. They occupy the space and or the uniform without making commitment or taking pride in what they do. It’s somebody else’s job, or they pay the big bucks to somebody else. I’m just a peon. I do what I have to in order to get by. Those are renter’s attitudes.

    An owner has the pride of ownership and takes responsibility for upkeep. The owner of a job makes a commitment to doing the job well. The owner feels good about doing a good day’s work, even without a pat on the back. The owner wants to get better every day and exceeds expectations. That’s an employee who stands out in the crowd.

    The renter doesn’t care about wear and tear on the doors or windows. They’re just renting. They don’t care about weeds in the lawn. If the roof leaks, it’s the landlord’s headache. The renter cares about pests, but calls someone else to take care of it. The renter doesn’t care about the declining value of the property.

    The owner on the other hand can’t be so mellow and uncaring. The owner tends to details before they get out of hand. The owner tends to the water heater in advance when possible. The owner cares about leaks, and plumbing, and the structure.

      The same attitude applies on the job. One can just put in the time and stay out of trouble and get by. Or one can care about the quality of their work and the impression he makes. The owner wants to get along with his fellow employees, not just at break time, but as a team player. He wants to do his fair share. He pays attention to detail, and finds satisfaction in passing his own inspection. The renter's breaks are too long, maybe too frequent. The renter finds excuses for conversation or dilly dallying. The owner goes out of his way to help a coworker or customer. The owner cares about the company's success even if he is the lowest paid employee around.

      Whatever our lot in life, whatever position we fill, let's be owners, not renters. Ownership may have its hard work and expenses, but it's more rewarding in the long run.

© Copyright 2013 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/784401-On-the-Job