*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787431
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Medical · #1944586
A medic discovers feelings that he hasn't had in years with the help of a dead girl.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#787431 added July 29, 2013 at 5:41pm
Restrictions: None
Preface
         The little girl was struggling for her life. A look of fear and panic swept her face as the bottom of the lake suddenly gave way to nothing. Her mother told her not to venture out too far, but she had felt safe feeling the sand beneath her feet. And besides, it wasn't as if she was far from shore. She could feel the first rush of water take over her lungs as her head went under. The cold water stung her nose and made her gasp, taking in more water. She felt alone, hearing only muffled shrieks of excitement from the summer fun nearby. Each time her head went under it was as if she was in another world. The water was dark and cold, not like she remembered it minutes ago. No, minutes ago it was cool and invigorating as it beckoned her from the summer heat. It wasn't like in the movies, she couldn't wave her hands in the air and scream because she would immediately suck in the lake water as she went under again. She tried frantically to somehow tread water but her little arms couldn't muster the strength to keep her afloat. It was too late when her dad realized she was in trouble. He took the 30 yard distance in what seemed like the strides of a giant. Once he hit the shore he dove into the lake and quickly reached the spot where his daughter had gone under.
         Her name was Priscilla, but her dad would just smile and call her princess. She was always smiling and bubbly. To say she was inquisitive would be an understatement. There was always some question nagging at her and it was always her dad who she turned to for the answers. "Dad, how come God doesn't let us see him?" That was the latest thing she couldn't get her mind around. She also had a big heart. She was not like the other kids her age. Most seven-year-olds couldn't keep their fingers out of their noses, but Priscilla was always trying to help people and animals. She just couldn't stand to see someone unhappy.
         When the Paramedics arrived, people were swarmed around in a huddle. As a new medic, Mike was nervous. He was going through the protocols and procedures in his mind, making sure he wouldn't forget them. His nervousness was only made worse by his excitement. Mike and his partner were right behind the firefighters as they rushed towards the crowd. People in the back eagerly made way for the responders.
         Priscilla's dad had started chest compressions on his little girl and had to be pried off. He was sobbing and crying out, "what did I do? My babies dead!"
         This startled Mike and took his thoughts away from the little girl. "MIKE!, get in the game!" yelled his partner. Mike turned to see the firefighters performing chest compressions and using a mask attached to a large bag and oxygen reservoir to breathe for her. They looked like a well oiled machine. Like pistons in an engine, rhythmically pumping up and down. Sweat poured from their foreheads and brows as they worked in the mid day heat.
         Mike quickly put his training to use as he and his partner fought to bring life back to an innocent soul. With his hands trembling, he started an intraosseous line which is a strong needle placed into the bone for fluids and medications to have access to the rich bone marrow. Digging into his training and knowledge, he administered medications that would help make the heart start again.
         The heart rhythm on the EKG monitor showed small wavy lines. Mike immediately knew this was a rhythm that required defibrillation, or a shock of electrical current to the heart muscle. If they were lucky, this would reset the heart and it would start beating. "Everybody clear!" shouted Mike. PFFTHUMP. The little girls body arced as it jumped off the ground. Nothing. The rhythm was now flat line. It had been too long. What seemed like an eternity went by as the crew frantically tried to save Priscilla.
         This wouldn't be the first patient that was lost despite Mike's efforts. Years of death and agony would fill his life.

© Copyright 2013 Marc Peek (UN: medic1860 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marc Peek has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787431