*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787876-Here-Comes-Another
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#787876 added July 31, 2013 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
Here Comes Another
One of my most overused phrases is 'one day at a time,' (sweet Jesus). It's advice I frequently give to others and try to stick to myself. It isn't easy and sometimes impossible, but realising life can change dramatically in a matter of twenty-four hours is something life has taught me, if little else.

It doesn't seem almost three hundred and sixty-five days since I was planning my last burpday bash. It's certainly true time moves faster the older we become. I cannot recall all of the days from the last year but no doubt there have been good ones, bad ones, indifferent ones, wasted ones and even terrifying ones. But I have tried and sometimes failed to take each as it comes and appreciate the blessings each one brings. I am truly grateful to still be here for my own and my grandson's burpday.

This time last year I had no idea my husband would spend Humbug in Intensive care in hospital or that I would have another little grandson. The severe winter was unexpected and the recent heatwave of summer a very welcome surprise. Most days are the ordinary kind with no dramatic changes, but that in itself is something to be grateful for. Today I have been grateful it's a rainy one, enabling me to get on with household tasks and party planning without missing out on any sunshine. No more rain this week though please.

My sister arrives tomorrow for a few days and on Friday I'll be taking my gals out for another boat trip and a pub lunch. We've chosen a pirate theme this year which should cause a few laughs for ourselves and those unfortunate enough to cross our path. We have hooks and patches, swords and inflatable parrots, but no wooden legs or planks to walk as far as I know. There could be a few legless buccaneers by the end of the day however.

It's my burpday next Monday and Dylan's on Tuesday when we'll be joining him, his family and his little pals at the Whacky Warehouse for fun and games. *Rolleyes* Amazing to think he'll be five and I'll be ...another year older.

But one day at a time...So, I better get back to baking pirate cakes and sorting out beds for all the family stopping over. It's a hard life for an old swashbuckler.


© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/787876-Here-Comes-Another