*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788828-Those-Crazy-Old-Men-and-their-Flying-Machines
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#788828 added August 13, 2013 at 10:39pm
Restrictions: None
Those Crazy Old Men and their Flying Machines


...They go Uptity Up Up, they go Downdity , down down.

Today I went out to the flying field and I was the only one out there. I had three planes to checkout. The first was a hybrid of what still worked combined into a single aircraft. I got it to fly but it was erratic and finally pranged in and was demolished. The second was an electric I picked up, what is called a 3D sport aircraft. That one too I crashed on takeoff. It had some issues with the speed controller and some old batteries I was using. It too crashed on takeoff. Finally I got out this old trainer I recently acquired. I flew it for about two hours without incident. I am definitely getting better but flying RC aircraft is quite a challenge.

This trainer I’m flying has a powerful engine and the model flies well. It was pretty windy and flying upwind was easy on half throttle and downwind it really hustled. When I got the model it had a cracked gas tank and the engine was sucking air and cutting off prematurely. That meant I had to land without power and that meant setting down where opportunity afforded. Our flying club is out on the marshes and there isn’t much out there but switch grass and a few shrubs. Being able to get in a couple of hours is a real confidence builder even though things were not very promising to start out with.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788828-Those-Crazy-Old-Men-and-their-Flying-Machines