*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/789711-The-Road-Not-Taken-an-Analysis
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1949276
Samples on how to conduct a poetry analysis
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#789711 added August 25, 2013 at 8:35pm
Restrictions: None
The Road Not Taken, an Analysis.
The Road Not Taken, an Analysis.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173536

Content: How does the tone of the speaker and the context of the work change your understanding of the poem?

1) Speaker: Here, the speaker is the poet, a hiker who has come to a fork in the road and is forced to make a decision about which path he will continue his journey on. The piece is timeless, and allegorical.

2) Tone: Tone is very informal and steady. Diction is structured to set up the concept of an elder or more experienced speaker relaying the thought process behind a decision to a younger, equal, or subordinate listener

3) Tension: The conflict here is the classic conundrum of choosing two separate paths. This conflict can exist on many levels – the base of location, the inner wrestling with choice, and so on. Tension is built through the weighing of options, and the weighing of the pros and cons of each possible choice before him. Ultimately, the choice is made in favor of striking uncharted territory.

4) Context: The poem was published in 1920, but the theme and context are timeless.


Language: How does the language and rhythm contribute to the meaning, purpose or emotional force?

1) Word Choice: Word choice is conversational, expository. Concrete images are used to explain metaphysical dilemmas.

2) Meaning: Words used are warm, soothing.

3) Rhythm: The poem is set in the traditional Frost format, and has a quasi-hypnotic rhythm to it.


Imagery: How does the imagery construct the poem’s theme, tone, and purpose?

1) Visuals and Sensory: Literal images are used to convey abstract and metaphorical concepts.

2) Metaphor: The entire poem is an open metaphor for the decision making process.

3) Symbolism: The paths represent options to take, the grasses represent the frequency with which people in a society choose to make certain decisions, and the trees represent the distractions and benefits inherent with the choices we make.


Form: How does the form of the poem correspond to theme and main idea of the work?

1) Structure: Form is traditional Frost, five stanzas with a rhyme pattern of abaab, and a hypnotic rhythm

2) Stanza and Lines: Lines have between eight and ten syllables, with nine being the most common length. Four stresses per line.

3) Rhyme Scheme: True end rhyme


Syntax: How do the poet’s syntactical choices change or expand the ideas in the poem?

1) Enjambment: Lines are broken up as to use the effective power of a single breath, and cause the reader to linger on the images within the piece. They also force the reader to think each line through, without rushing through the reading.

2) Verbs: Active past tense, as if to give the impression of reflecting on a lifetime of choices made.

3) Sentence Structure: Natural complete sentences, relating a story to the reader with solid grammar.

4) Punctuation: Punctuation is natural, and contributes to the flow of the piece. Pauses and endings are occasionally in the middle of a line, but these locations are strategically placed and enforce the pace of the piece.

Narrative:

This piece has always held a special meaning for me. It shows the value of going against the trend, and the wisdom of setting along paths that see little use from those in our world. Frost moved from a high paced environment to a slower paced environment at a time when many people were moving to the higher paced environment to find work.

I did much the same in my own life, and in my own way.

As someone with learning disabilities, I often find it easier to chart my own course through a problem rather than taking the course laid out by others before me. As much as we would love to go through life learning from the mistakes of others, we must in our own way make mistakes ourselves. That is the only way we as individuals grow.


© Copyright 2013 Turtle ~ KanyáthƐko:wa:h (UN: marnts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Turtle ~ KanyáthƐko:wa:h has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/789711-The-Road-Not-Taken-an-Analysis