*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790027
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1949868
The story of growth in the darkness.
#790027 added August 29, 2013 at 7:07pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1: Innocence Lost
“Hey, Squigs, come on, let’s go!”





                “Shut-up Max, you know I hate it when you call me that.”





                “Nah Squigs, I don’t know what you’re talking about. You just got a funny sounding family name is all. What’s the harm in poking fun? You can do it to me if you like.”





                “You’re last name is unpronounceable...it makes fun of itself.”





                “Now that, sir, was uncalled for. Now come on, we’re gonna miss our city’s favorite sport!”





                The city’s favorite sport was bringing out “convicted” criminals and having them drawn and quartered by horses that seemed to be trained for that sort of thing. It was all the craze with the crazies. The two boys, Max and Iscariot made their way toward the city. The first of relatively bulky build, the other slim yet wiry. Neither of them liked their unnamed town’s favorite sport. However, it was expected of them to attend so attend they did.





                “Hey I wonder who they’ve got dangling in the ropes this time?”





                “Probably some innocent who didn’t really do anything. It’s basically just a show for the townsfolk.”





                “Damn Squigs, I wonder what’s underneath all that cynicism of yours.”





                “Probably something along the lines of skepticism or pessimism.”





                “I remember when you were young and innocent. Man, those were the days...”





                “I remember when you weren’t nearly as stupid.” Iscariot couldn’t keep a smirk from appearing. It was his favorite pastime to poke fun at Max. Of course, he wasn’t actually all that slow and Iscariot wasn’t that pessimistic but when two boys get to that stage in their friendship, these regular fencing matches became quite commonplace. What else was there to do at 17 years of age? Other than working around the hamlet, life was quite dull. Not dull enough to participate in sports, but dull enough to bore most of the boys to tears. They were caught in that strange phase that all people seem to go through. They were too old to play with sticks as they had done when they were younger and were still too young to participate in all the debates that seemed to occur between the adults. It was an altogether unpleasant age to live in. But they were better off than the sportsmen who lived in the town. Everybody was.





                Walking at a relaxed pace, the two boys eventually came to the road that lead from their hamlet to the town. Picking up their pace a little, they decided to try and make it into town before the event began. Perhaps they could find a place to hang around or even a young maiden or three. Chances of the latter happening were always slim but you never know.





                It was a short walk from where they were to the town, but even with being early, the small gatehouse was packed tighter than it seemed possible. While you could pack many people into tight, confined places, it was usually necessary to cut them into smaller bits to do so. By this point both boys were wearing a grimace, for there was no chance of any maidens with crowds so large.





                “They must have quite the prestigious guy for today’s event to draw such a crowd.”





                “It’s possible. My guess is that people are just trying to get in the last of their shopping before the market starts closing down for the winter. I find it hard to believe that everyone here is here for the same thing.”





“You think they have some sort of Legion Captain or something that was caught deserting?” For years, Max had been wondering whether or not he should join the Legions. His only argument for joining them was that he had nothing to do back home. Iscariot, on the other hand, wanted nothing to do with them. He’d heard enough stories of the horrors that they go through; he didn’t want to be a part of them.





                “Maybe they’ve started conscripting. Gee wouldn’t that be fun.”





                “Shut-up Squigs. You’re ruining the mood. Nobody should be down on such a splendid day as this!”











                “Max...There is a man about to be torn to pieces. Forgive me if I’m not crazy about it.”





                A clamor was raised in the distance and the boys turned to face it. Sure enough, the town’s mayor was calling for everyone to gather in the village square to witness “what they had all been waiting for”. Everyone from merchant to beggar started running toward the town square, hoping to get a good view. Max and Iscariot stayed near the back, wanting nothing to do with what was happening.  The mayor got up on a raised wooden platform in the middle of the square and everyone turned to face him.





                “Ladies and Gentlemen! I hope all of you are excited!” At this a massive cheer went up, everybody seemed to love this. “Today we have something extra special! A live barbarian!” Ooohs and Aaaahs abounded. “Yes, that’s right! Straight from the mountains of Ryadon! A dangerous marauder from the heights where dangerous and otherworldly beasts roam free!” The mayor had everyone’s attention glued to him. He was loving every second of it. “Our own great Legions caught him on their last dastardly raid! Great men, young and old, rose up and took him and his compatriots down!” Another giant cheer. “So today, I come to you noble and humble people of our fine town to ask, what kind of punishment should we give such a cowardly creature!?” At this, as if on cue, everyone in the square starting chanting in that unified rhythm that crowds seem to have “DRAW AND QUARTER HIM!”. The mayor looked like a 6 year old at the Fairgrounds. Iscariot and Max looked like 6 year olds introduced to the morgue. In a casket. “People, today I shall give you what you want! We shall have this barbarian drawn and quartered within the hour!” One last giant cheer and the mayor took a bow. Calmly walking off the platform, you would of thought he had won a war single-handedly by the way people heaped praise on him. The crowd began to disperse and Iscariot and Max started to make their way toward the market. Max was looking for something to bring back to his little sister who was turning 3 in a few days.





                “You know, I wonder why they call it drawn and quartered. By the time the whole shebang is over, it’s more like drawn and smithereened.”





                “See Max, this is why we can’t have any real conversations. You always think of stupid things like this.”





                “Squigs.”





                “Oh shut-up.” Iscariot said, applying a well placed smack on the back of Max’s head.





                “What the hell man!?”





                “What? Did I loosen any of the cobwebs in there?”





                “One day, it’ll be you tied to those horses. And we’ll see how well your smart-ass will serve you then.”





                “I’m a smart-ass. I’m far too smart to be caught in a scam like this.”





                Max returned the earlier favor and cuffed Iscariot on the backside of the head. Straightening, the two boys continued on their walk toward the market.





About 5 minutes later, they were greeted by the over-enthusiastic cries of the peddlers and hawkers that call the market home. No matter how many times they said no, someone was always offering some sausages or a magical amulet to protect against who knows what. After a few minutes of trying to squeeze through the throng, Max finally found a small silver trinket that he thought she might like. Something to bring some shine and sparkle to her room.





                “Alright, let’s go. The barbarian is about to be shredded. I suppose we shouldn’t miss it.”





                “Alright Squigs, let’s go. I got my trinket.”





                Heading back through the market seemed to be a much more difficult task than entering it. The merchants seemed alot less inclined to let them go then to let them enter. It made sense of course. Heading toward the arch at the end of the street, Iscariot stopped.





                “What’s up Squigs? See a girl somewhere?”





                Bending over, Iscariot picked up a small copper coin. A small pittance, but his father always told him that every little bit counts. Shrugging his shoulders, he slipped it into his pocket and continued on his way, Max at his side. Within moments the tide of the crowd turned and it was much easier to reach the town square. As expected, the mayor had an area cleared where the horses were waiting and was standing on his little podium, ready to whip the crowd into a frenzy.





                “Ladies and Gentlemen! The time has come for the main event!” He wouldn’t even deny the fact that he thought this was all some happy sport. “It is time to dole out the barbarian’s punishment! Guards, bring him out and tie him up!”





                Immediately three guards came out wearing standard issue cuirasses and sporting short swords at their sides, just like the good carbon copies that they were. In between them struggled a massive man, almost seven feet tall. He had markings all over his body and his muscles rippled with every move. He was not the type of man you would want to run into late at night. Or even mid-afternoon.





                “Damn Squigs, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone that big...”





                “I know what you mean. He’s as big as our horses.” Within moments the guards had the barbarian tied up between the horses. As soon as the ropes were tied, the victim went still and turned his eyes toward the crowd. Surprisingly enough, he spoke.





                “You fools are all here, controlled by such a simple blood sport. Do you truly think that you are better than us? If one of your own had been captured, a swift and honorable death would have been awarded. He wouldn’t of been made into such a show.” The crowd started screaming and jeering. The two boys, however, hung on his every word. “You accuse us of being barbaric and yet look to yourselves. You lead lives that mean nothing. You accomplish nothing. Your greatest accomplishments is ambushing my people and killing them in front of huge crowds. You are worth nothing!” The crowd began to call for the punishment to begin. The mayor, not wanting such words spoken aloud, gladly acquiesced. “One day you shall realize your shame and your true barbarity. I wish I could be alive on that day, for nothing would give me greater pleasure than to watch you people tear yourselves apart.” At this point the horses started cantering out of the square. The man’s speech found itself suddenly halted as he grunted in pain. He refused, however, to scream and give them a good show. Within moments, the horses had begun to pick up speed, beginning to strain the man more and more. A popping sound was heard as his shoulders came out of their sockets. Iscariot and Max turned away at the last moment so as to not witness his gruesome end. At the end, at the end of his tolerance, it sounded as if the man had called out to his mother in his native tongue, perhaps hoping for some sort of rescue or sanctuary. And then he was silent. The bloodlust of the crowd was up and the mayor, not willing to miss such a good opportunity, began virtually emptying the dungeon. It mattered not whether they had a trial or not. The crowd just wanted to see more blood. Max and Iscariot, having seen more than enough, turned and shuffled through the crowd, heading toward the gate. Looking around, they noticed that they weren’t the only ones making good their escape.





The gates were open when they reached them, with no guards around. They had probably all gone to watch the show. That didn’t bother the boys at all. As long as they could get out faster, without questions, they had no objections whatsoever.





                The sun was beginning to disappear behind the horizon by the time that Iscariot and Max reached the hamlet.





                Coming up a small hill, they were greeted by the sight of multiple children running around little cottages, squealing in joy as they chased each other. A small girl, running in the back of the pack, noticed the two boys coming up the dirt track.





                “Issy!” She screeched. Within moments she had run and flung herself into his arms. “ You’re finally home!” The greeting took just a few seconds before she had peeled off toward the nearest cottage.





                “Wow. I wonder if anyone noticed I’m back...?” Max smiled wryly.





                A deep voice spoke behind them. “Too damn ugly to risk running up to you.” A large hand reached over and tousled Max’s hair. “How was the show?”





                “Oh just great. I love the part when they scream!” Max said in mock joy. “You’re just lucky you didn’t have to see it.” Iscariot and Max turned around to face the man behind them, Max’s father.





                “And would that be before or after you broke down and started crying?” His father asked.





                “Oh before me, but after Squigs.”  Iscariot cuffed Max again.





                Laughing a deep laugh, Max’s father led the boys into the hamlet, where they were enthusiastically greeted by the rampant pack of children. From the first cottage, a man and a woman appeared. The woman was heavily pregnant and the man walked slowly, supporting her as best he could. They both looked up and wide grins split their faces. Iscariot ran ahead and embraced both his parents, glad to be with them after such an event.





                “How was the show?” his father asked. Iscariot’s mother fixed him with a glare.





                “Probably going to be hailed as the greatest one of all time.”





                “Until they “arrest” the next poor sap.”





                “I don’t know about that Dad, they had a big barbarian this time. He gave quite a speech before...you know...”





                “Aye, I know far too well. What kind of nonsense did he say?”





                Iscariot and Max both related the story, filling in facts the other may have missed. Both Max’s father and Iscariot’s parents seemed disturbed by the speech, perhaps even believing that some of it may be true. Regardless of whether they believed it or not, they chose not to speak of it afterwards.





                “By the way, me and Max were planning on heading out tomorrow to do some hunting. I would like to invite you to come with us.” Max’s father asked, as they were preparing to head out the door.





                “Well, I’m a little pregnant...” Laughter echoed around and Iscariot spoke up.





                “I would love to go! Dad?” He gazed searchingly at his father, pleading with his eyes. After a few moments, his father nodded. That being settled, Max and his father set out.





                Iscariot’s mother turned and started heading toward the kitchen. “If you two idiots are going out hunting tomorrow, I better prepare some food. Issy, could you go find your sister? It’s past time she should come in.”





                “Sure Mom, I’ll be right back.” He bolted out the door.





                Once out in the night, it was a relatively easy thing to track down his sister. He could hear her squealing laughter from half a league away. He walked toward the wood, drawing closer and closer to the sound of his sister. Treading carefully through some brush, he came to the realisation that all was quiet. Stalking around a tree, he was set upon from behind by a shrieking ball of crazy.





                “I’ve got you know Issy! Give up now and I won’t hurt you!” She screamed as she wrapped her hands around his head.





                Laughing, Iscariot almost casually disentangled her from his hair and slung her over his shoulder, upside down. “Now who’s got who?” As he jiggled her a little, pretending to drop her.





                “Eeeeek! Let me go! No! I was supposed to catch you!” She screamed as she pounded her little fists into his back.





                “Laughing all the while, he jogged through the wood and brought her back to their cottage. He may have lost his innocence today, but at least he could count on his sister to keep hers.
© Copyright 2013 Crystollenes (UN: syriarch at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Crystollenes has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790027