*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791159-New-Dimensions
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#791159 added September 10, 2013 at 10:48pm
Restrictions: None
New Dimensions
I have this beautiful brand new Almost Ready to Fly (ARF) Trainer that I really need to build since all my other ones are no longer airworthy. Thus I resolved to build my new ARF concurrent with rebuilding the Trainer that had the wings fall off.

As often happens in my writing the interesting stuff captures my attention and the rehabilitation of the wrecked plane has led me in unexpected directions. First I didn’t want to rebuild it as a trainer but as a war-bird like airplane. I think I mentioned that in an earlier blog. So I took parts from other wrecks and began piecing things together. The result is a really cool looking model. I like it much better than I ever liked the Trainer it started life as.

As I read I sense that other writers do the same thing. For example when Stephany Meyers wrote her Twilight vampire series she took off on a tangent that became Bree Tanner. Bree was a minor character that was included in the series but not to the extent that Meyers followed out the thread. Another example is Steig Larson, who wrote Girl in the Dragon Tattoo. When you begin reading Book One, she starts out looking like a minor character but she suddenly blossoms into the whole enchilada.

Often in life we are so caught up in the box of our little world that we become oblivious to the dimensions that exist outside it. So when something intriguing springs up we need to be attuned and receptive to its presence. If you sit in Wall Mart, like I do at times waiting for my wife to finish shopping an observer gets to see great examples of what I’m talking about.

There is a steady stream of people caught up in themselves and their lives oblivious to anything not a part of the main stream of their lives.

My friend Karen takes in stray dogs. She could collect kittens or puppies but the ones she winds up with are the “Down and Outers” shoved into the backwater of the world that surrounds us. Its like me with my old busted airplanes, or writers that take hold of the elusive thread that nobody else would find very interesting. Yet its those threads that lead us into those mysterious worlds outside the box and give us a glimpse of something more than ourselves.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791159-New-Dimensions