*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791205-Wednesday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#791205 added September 11, 2013 at 2:53pm
Restrictions: None
Wednesday
Look at the time! I'm usually getting in here just under the wire, sometimes just over it, and occasionally, not even making it. But the last few days have been better, and today is another great day.

First of all, I have already been around the site some and enjoyed some leisure time in here, and second, I'm getting my journal done and it's only early afternoon. The best part is, I have the rest of the day, too.

It's my day off for the week, and many may think that sucks, only getting one day off a week. But the truth is, it's terrific to get one day off a week, considering most of the summer there was no days off a week, or month, or all summer. The last I had scheduled days off was back in May, and they were not carved in stone. Although there was always some risk of not getting my scheduled days off, it changed around December of last year.

That marked a change; it was more likely than not I would not get the day off as scheduled. Even so, I still was able to get some days off. That changed again around April, when it became difficult to get any of my scheduled days off. By May, it was a task to get any days off. By the end of May, there was no chance of getting a day off.

Although August provided a couple of days off, it was not truly time off from work. It was scheduled time off from going in to the job site and working my security guard duties, but there was a backlog of manager duties needing attention, so any days off were spent trying to keep up with this aspect of my job.

To fully understand, I should explain that I am the security manager for a security company. They are located in Iowa, but have sites in other states. Ours is one of them, and I'm the site supervisor. I am also a security guard for the company, and I get paid a little bit more than the other guards as compensation for my supervisory tasks. I do not, however, get paid any compensation other than when I am working my scheduled hours as a security guard.

Also, while I'm working as a security guard, I cannot perform many of the duties required of my supervisory position, so they must be done from home, off the clock. Normally, they do not require a lot of time, but that all changed in early spring. Problems with other guards required more and more time off the clock.

Even as this demand grew, I was spending more time at work, and had less time at home to keep up with the paperwork and other tasks, so I slowly got further and further behind. So, when a day off did arise, it would be spent trying to get caught up again.

As I said, I did not have any time off between May and August, with just a couple days off in May, spent catching up at home, and a couple days in August, again, spent catching up. Also, between on the job and at home, I have been averaging over fifty hours a week. But in September it began to change.

The first change was double coverage ended, so there was less demand for coverage. Secondly, I finally had a crew of guards who were able to work more hours, and the last one who was very limited, left. So, more hours could be distributed to the other guards, and there were less hours needing filled. Finally, we hired another guard and for the first time since April, we have a full crew. He tested and passed today.

He will still need a little training, but by next week, I should have the ability to schedule two days or more off a week. There are still a few problems with another guard, a new person, but I'm hopeful they will work out. Even if they do not, we have enough staff to cover her hours until another person can be hired.

This all means I finally have some time to do what I want, not what I need. Sure, there is still need of getting some things caught up, but nothing real pressing. I still have to send an e-report today and mail some forms, but that won't take long.

It feels pretty good to have a little time again. Right now, it's just that, a little time. But it's looking like it may just become a little more by next week, and then there's the ability to take some time off, which will make it even more.

So, with some time, I was able to sleep in this morning. No alarm, just sleep till I woke up. There is the ability to get in here and enjoy some time looking around and writing a little. And, after I finish my journal, I have a poem I started that I'm going to add to my portfolio.

I may even get it edited~

© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/791205-Wednesday